A&H

Tim Melia - bodyslam

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper Tim Meliá somewhat overreacting to Christian Roldan backing him into his own goal, reportedly received a yellow card as "it did not rise to violent conduct due to the lack of brutality". 😮

Bodyslam

A&H International
Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper Tim Meliá somewhat overreacting to Christian Roldan backing him into his own goal, reportedly received a yellow card as "it did not rise to violent conduct due to the lack of brutality". 😮

Bodyslam
I missed it in real time on the TV, but saw it on the replay. How it wasn't a red one absolutely no idea.

Keeper grabs him after being fouled, grapples him and then loses his footing and falls backwards taking player over too.

I can understand a caution here, and I’m comfortable with it.

Not sure I buy the lack of brutality line personally as I think that’s conflating two separate offences.

Round the neck area, absolutely the gk knows exactly what he is doing here

grabbed at neck and dumped on the floor.

can only be red, nobody takes to the pitch expecting to be wwf'd

Yes, but this is USA which think WWF as a sport. I am amazed it was not a fair challenge 🤣

How this wasn't a RC, I have no idea. The Law says:
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball

Excessive force ✔️
Not challenging for the ball✔️

So, brutality is not needed......

Fans are funny sometimes. They look at a play like this and scream red card from the rooftops, but these same fans don’t even think the scissor tackle than broke Harvey Elliott’s ankle is even a foul.

This looks a lot worse than fans think because Roldan’s momentum is still going backwards. In my matches, I’m going red, but yellow given Roldan’s momentum is a defensible call and not a clear error here.

Keeper grabs him after being fouled, grapples him and then loses his footing and falls backwards taking player over too.
Seriously? 😮 Might want VAR to take another look...

Keeper clearly takes steps forward before aggressively grabbing and throwing his opponent to the ground!

It looks awful on the first slow-mo. On the second full-speed clip, I have a bit more sympathy for the argument that a yellow is enough.

I still think red is the right call, but I don't see yellow as C&O wrong once it's seen at full speed. The force isn't massive, I don't see the "round the neck" that some have alluded too and I think a lot of the momentum that does exist comes from the fact the attacker is leaning into it to try and block the keeper.

Last edited:
I also have doubts about awarding a foul to the defending side here. Green has lawfully competed for the ball and is heading back onside, not impeding (but for the keeper wanting him to move more quickly) and is subsequently manhandled.
Pen for me. Whether yellow or red depends on match temp for me. If a penalty, might be tempted more towards yellow.

Lol. Obstruction by #7 green. IDK to blue team.

In all seriousness though hasn't green backed into the keeper and blocked him from gaining possession. IE Obstruction. What was actually given? (Ref seems to indicate foul against green.)

Exactly - the green player is clearly leaning into the GK, trying to stop him getting out of the goal. That's the first foul and determines the restart - but also, needs to be factored into why he hit the ground so hard. And in part, that's because he would have been lying on his back a few seconds earlier if the GK hadn't been inadvertently supporting him. Removing that support isn't an aggressive act in itself.

Exactly - the green player is clearly leaning into the GK, trying to stop him getting out of the goal. That's the first foul and determines the restart - but also, needs to be factored into why he hit the ground so hard. And in part, that's because he would have been lying on his back a few seconds earlier if the GK hadn't been inadvertently supporting him. Removing that support isn't an aggressive act in itself.

Thanks mate. So IF the GK did get a red then it would still be an IDK against green for the restart?

Thanks mate. So IF the GK did get a red then it would still be an IDK against green for the restart?
I think you could make a case for DFK given there's contact, but in your own GA the distinction is academic. But yeah, that aside, anything that occurs after the whistle cannot change the restart in football.

I don't see any room whatsoever for anything but a red. A moment of madness by the keeper for retaliation to a foul by an opponent. Can't have that in my game.

Tim Melia (the Sporting KC goalkeeper) suspended for a game with an undisclosed fine. Probably the only thing the MLS Disciplinary Committee could do given how this play made it into popular culture with The Rock even chiming in.

Back