A&H

Thw strangest thing happened...

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Game last night, u18s, absolutely tipping it down throughout, tough conditions for everyone, particularly the players as the ground was still firm underneath.

1-0 to the blues with 2 minutes to go, not heard a single word of dissent, no bad tackles, no need for a word with anyone never mind a card, perfect conduct from the coaches etc.

Orange long ball, blues back line play the offside trap as they'd done to great effect all game but on this occasion the full back stays in and is level with the orange attacker, who rounds the goalkeeper and makes it 1-1, 30 seconds to go. No dissent, even an admission from the defender that he played the striker on, remarkable!

From the kick off, a few passes are played , the striker turns, goes past the defender, rounds the keeper and scores from the tightest of angles. We kick off and the full time whistle is blown. Handshakes all round, all players, coaches etc say what a good gsme it was and praise my performance (it was the easiest game to referee I've ever been involved in and I've been involved in football for 30 years).

It struck me how rare it is to have two teams who accepted all the decisions and never entered into any dissent (this is under 18 football as well!). Faith in football restored, it even made me feel guilty about my own conduct towards officials and opposition players from my playing days. Refereeing utopia.....it was all incredibly odd and I'm not sure I liked it!

The Referee Store
I used to get booed when I got in the car, and that was from the wife when I first set off! :D

Seriously, I must of copped for some proper £&@soles in my leagues and I never expected zero dissent!

A rare find @Ben448844 my game last night seemed to taking a similar route, first half i gave 3 fouls. Very little dissent, a good well balanced match, that was until the 70th minute. Striker breaks away around the half way line and defender comes across and takes him out, knowing exactly what he is doing, the aforementioned striker completely looses it and goes for the defender, i honestly don't know where it came from. For the last 20 minutes the game completely changed, ended with 1 red and 5 yellows and a team not understanding why i didn't red card the player who made the challenge because he was the LAST MAN.

I used to get booed when I got in the car, and that was from the wife when I first set off! :D

Seriously, I must of copped for some proper £&@soles in my leagues and I never expected zero dissent!

I certainly never expect no dissent! If anything I don't deal with it harshly enough. I used to give plenty as well for my sins whilst a player! I imagine we probably officiate in the same league's. I'm relatively new to Yorkshire and I've learnt some fantastic local dialect!

Excellent stuff!

I was on a fairly good run of games - 2 or 3 with (I won't say no!) pretty limited dissent and played in a good spirit. The downside of that is that I was far to slow to react to a slightly heated start to the following match on Saturday. So don't get complacent!

I've done 26 youth games this season. All divisions/ages. Card count for verbals = 0
Considering refereeing in Middlesex instead of Hertfordshire next year as the kids round my way are too nice :)

absolutely tipping it down throughout

I think that's part of the reason. :p

I have a love/hate relationship with football when it's tipping down. On the one hand, I don't enjoy getting out there and soaked. On the other, everyone just wants to go home, so they behave and get on with it.

Game last night, u18s, absolutely tipping it down throughout, tough conditions for everyone, particularly the players as the ground was still firm underneath.

1-0 to the blues with 2 minutes to go, not heard a single word of dissent, no bad tackles, no need for a word with anyone never mind a card, perfect conduct from the coaches etc.

Orange long ball, blues back line play the offside trap as they'd done to great effect all game but on this occasion the full back stays in and is level with the orange attacker, who rounds the goalkeeper and makes it 1-1, 30 seconds to go. No dissent, even an admission from the defender that he played the striker on, remarkable!

From the kick off, a few passes are played , the striker turns, goes past the defender, rounds the keeper and scores from the tightest of angles. We kick off and the full time whistle is blown. Handshakes all round, all players, coaches etc say what a good gsme it was and praise my performance (it was the easiest game to referee I've ever been involved in and I've been involved in football for 30 years).

It struck me how rare it is to have two teams who accepted all the decisions and never entered into any dissent (this is under 18 football as well!). Faith in football restored, it even made me feel guilty about my own conduct towards officials and opposition players from my playing days. Refereeing utopia.....it was all incredibly odd and I'm not sure I liked it!

I think the perception is skewed by the fact that we all tend to post when things go awry, not when everything in the garden is rosy!

Last weekend I did an U16 game on Saturday, followed by an U14 game on Sunday & barely had even a word of dissent and no challenges even worthy of a word, let alone a card! I think uneventful games are much more prevalent than you may think!

I was once asked to do a referee player talk to an OA team that had had a league warning on their conduct. So all in a huddle I explained what was expected blah blah blah... 1 minute gone and the first one went in the book! You couldn’t make it up! :redcard:

I had a pretty bad season last year averaging a send off every 4 games or so. This season has started pretty good with only one double yellow send off in the first of 9 games so far.
Two of the games were in a cup comp with a $5K prize money. I expected them to be much harder than they were. Each end up in 3 cautions only.

My saturday footballers comparison to sunday 'just got in from the night club' footballers was startling.... Double the hassle on sundays... I wasn't a welcome face walking onto the pitch to my habituals!! :devil:

I think the perception is skewed by the fact that we all tend to post when things go awry, not when everything in the garden is rosy!

Last weekend I did an U16 game on Saturday, followed by an U14 game on Sunday & barely had even a word of dissent and no challenges even worthy of a word, let alone a card! I think uneventful games are much more prevalent than you may think!

In all seriousness, most games I have pass off with little incident, no reds this season for example. It was just remarkable to have literally not a single word of dissent or a single bad tackle in u18 football.

My last 5 games (adult men’s) have been pretty much the same, I can’t remember a border line tackle & the most I’ve had dissent wise is the odd grumble or moan but nothing that remotely resembles dissent.

I ran the line for a level4 the other day and I said to him I’ve had zero trouble lately not a dickybird card wise, I said I almost want something to kick off to give me something to ref & to test me, He looked me square in the eyes and said trust me you don’t!

I've done 26 youth games this season. All divisions/ages. Card count for verbals = 0
Considering refereeing in Middlesex instead of Hertfordshire next year as the kids round my way are too nice :)
My card count for dissent at youth is very high.I'm always booking the little toe rags for back chat.

My card count for dissent at youth is very high.I'm always booking the little toe rags for back chat.
Listen Newbies Tino's Best!! :devil::cool:

Back