A&H

Throw in

Edward185

Hello
New to the forum.
If someone delays the restart of play by deliberately time wasting at a throw-in and I caution him. Can I turn the throw in round and then award it to the opposition or does the throw remain with the team who delayed the taking of it?

The Referee Store
Since the caution occurs before the restart, you still give the same team the throw-in.

(Now I wouldn't mind it if we COULD award the other team the throw-in for delay, but that's not correct in the Laws).

Hello
New to the forum.
If someone delays the restart of play by deliberately time wasting at a throw-in and I caution him. Can I turn the throw in round and then award it to the opposition or does the throw remain with the team who delayed the taking of it?
Nope.. The ball is out of play. If an offence is committed before a restart (eg DRP) play is restarted according to the existing restart.

Reactions: Kes
Yep, reversing penalties is a rugby thing, albiet quite a good rugby thing I wouldn't mind seeing in football!

The overarching principal in football is that once play is stopped, the restart is then locked in stone. The only exception to this is if the referee realises the original reason for stopping play was incorrect (with or without the help of VAR), in which case they can then apply what would have been the correct restart in the first place. But even that is totally unaffected by any offences that occur after the whistle. EDIT: OK, not the "only" exception.

Last edited:
Back