A&H

Thoughts of 2 incidents of potential vc...

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
2 wee clips from weekend in the same game that folk outside of Scotland may have missed/not been interested in.
Neither was seen (punished) at the time and the review panel have said neither incident is a red card. (In Scotland the panel cant impose a yc, only downgrade a yc to a red or impose a red). Thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45172031

The Referee Store
Nothing in the first one for me. Second could have been red for the post-incident sideways stamp, and I'm fairly sure there would have been some OFFINABUS in there as well. Surprised no yellow for AA at least for the shouting at a prone player.

The Brown one isn't for me, a yellow if anything. Just two players jostling for space, we see it countless times in every game. Had he used his elbow more as a weapon then I'd be inclined to give something.

The Naismith one is VC every time. Not one, but two kicks out at an opponent. Has to walk.

By Scottish standards, I'd have expected the panel to swerve these two incidents. By Italian standards, two ambulances may have been needed

The Brown one isn't for me, a yellow if anything. Just two players jostling for space, we see it countless times in every game. Had he used his elbow more as a weapon then I'd be inclined to give something.

The Naismith one is VC every time. Not one, but two kicks out at an opponent. Has to walk.

Devils advocate, explain the brutality in the second incident?

Am two pronged on the second part, If you see that at your sunday league game, I dont see how you can leave him on the park
But in the clip at that level, am going yc at worst..

Confusing!

Devils advocate, explain the brutality in the second incident?

"Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made."

Definitely not challenging for the ball.
Against a team-mate.
Is it excessive? I would argue any attempt to kick an opponent when the ball is nowhere near is excessive. I think the lack of force has potentially saved him (despite the "regardless of whether contact is made" caveat in the law) but I have no issue arguing the case that there is no justification for kicking an opponent off the ball.

"Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made."

Definitely not challenging for the ball.
Against a team-mate.
Is it excessive? I would argue any attempt to kick an opponent when the ball is nowhere near is excessive. I think the lack of force has potentially saved him (despite the "regardless of whether contact is made" caveat in the law) but I have no issue arguing the case that there is no justification for kicking an opponent off the ball.

not far off my line of thought
the inconsistency of the lotg though being had he booted out in a more forceful manner and missed, we would be going red?
yet we are (am guessing according to the panel that reviewed it), saying that because it was a kick but a very soft one, we are not going red?

The problem with these panels are that they are made up of folk who are not well versed in the lotg and their application. I'm pretty sure, in England at least, its usually a former player, former manager, and former referee and a unanimous decision is needed for a charge.

The problem with these panels are that they are made up of folk who are not well versed in the lotg and their application. I'm pretty sure, in England at least, its usually a former player, former manager, and former referee and a unanimous decision is needed for a charge.

Ok, sorry to be the one to burst bubble, new for this season... but, its 3 recently retired class 1 refs, but yes, it has to be unanimious. ( in Scotland)

Cant see any defence for Naismith at all after seeing the replay, Brown probably just gets the benefit of the doubt.

Brown is a thug, every match he's not sent off is a missed opportunity to clean up the game

Back