A&H

Open Age This Weeks Fixture

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
This saturday will see me officiate a team I have had some difficulty with in the past.

To add some context, as an ex-player I never wanted to be "one of those refs", the ones who are pedantic and appear to be a "jobsworth". As a result I have been (notice past tense!) a little more lenient

Now one of my earliest fixtures was a match between two decent reserve sides. Throughout the game the away side 8 just kept on and on, "our throw ref", "my ball ref" "thats got to be a foul ref" etc etc. INever once did he cross the line it was just non stop. It wasn't helped as the manager and the substitutes were all winding him up.

However the CAR disallowed a goal for offside, which would have made it 3-2. I spoke to the CAR and agreed with him and disallowed the goal. The 8 decided to vent his frustration calling him a cheat!. I walked over to him and politely said "I know its frustrating when decisions go against you but please do not shout across the pitch at one of my assistance". it seemed to do the trick but occasionally he would pipe up again, i spoke to the captain and told him the next person to speak out of line goes in the book.

Things settled down until an away team player gave a foul, I awarded the free kick only to be told "that's an effing **** decision referee", i immediately cautioned the player for dissent.

The away side seemed to then focus on being "difficult" moaning at each other, me and questioning every decision.

5 or 10 minutes later one after awarding a free kick the away side were acting aggressively which caused tensions to rise, a bit of male bravado ensued and one of the substitutes decided to walk onto the pitch. I politely told him he is not to enter the field of play without my permission and he should return to the technical area before I caution him. I walked over to him and warned him of his conduct, spoke to the manager and told him i will no longer tolerate any form of dissent. The substitute decided to start up again, walked on the pitch and told me to "jog on you ****ing busy, ref". My response was to give him a straight red and sent him from the vacinity.

A few minutes later everyone settled down and Ironically, the away side then focussed on football and scored 5 goals to draw 6-6

At the end of the game the manager came up to me, almost nose to nose shouting "why did you disallow that goal for offside" my response "well it was offside, please don't shout at me and step away before i report you for misconduct!" luckily he retreated pretty quickly.

Since that game I have adopted zero tolerance for things such as swearing at me and calling me a cheat, I tell both sides before the game my stand and to be honest every game since has been good with no cautions for dissent, plenty for fouls, and some reds for VC but none for OFFINABUS!

I have had an advisory assessment done since then as I want to go for promotion and scored a 78 with most comments about positioning and i was complimented on my game/man management.

However, I am due to officiate this team again on saturday and wondered if any of you had any tips/advice etc

The Referee Store
"Cheat" = Immediate red card...No more problems from number 8 after that!!
However, it seems that you have worked out (as we all do), that being polite gets us nowhere, so adopt the same zero-tolerance approach and you will be fine.

Thought I should post an update, the away team referred to in my OP were once again the away team and they once again started poorly and were 3-0 by half time

No real incidents and the mouthy player to his credit was well behaved.

2nd half was a different story, had to tell one supporter to stop distracting home team players, the mouthy player stayed quiet until minute 70 and I got accused of bottling a penalty decision which was never a penalty. GK shielding the ball our for a goal kick, attacker shoulder to shoulder and loses out to gk, cries for penalty.

Away side came back to draw 3-3

So as OIREF says, 2nd time is never as bad!!

Back