A&H

The "KEEPERS" Shout

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
Through ball from just outside the box to into the box. Striker through one-on-one (defenders are all pretty close). Keeper screams "KEEPERS" as the striker is about to shoot then makes a save.

All happened pretty fast, so I decided to allow it, as it felt to me he could have been communicating with his other defender to let them know he was handling it and not to do any silly tackle attempts.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
The law says it's an offence to verbally distract an opponent. So the words used don't matter, nor in the final analysis, does whether he was trying to communicate with his defenders.

The only issue you have to consider is whether the opponent was verbally distracted or not.

You don't give any indication that the opponent was put off in any way so in the absence of a judgement on your part that the opponent was adversely affected by what the keeper shouted, it doesn't sound as if there was any offence here.

Through ball from just outside the box to into the box. Striker through one-on-one (defenders are all pretty close). Keeper screams "KEEPERS" as the striker is about to shoot then makes a save.

All happened pretty fast, so I decided to allow it, as it felt to me he could have been communicating with his other defender to let them know he was handling it and not to do any silly tackle attempts.

Thoughts?
As Peter says above. Unless you feel that by shouting, the GK caused the striker to be distracted or "put off" in which case you'd stop play and issue a caution. The restart is then an IDFK to the attacking team. :cool:

Yeah, that sounds close enough to a legitimate shout that I'd be inclined to just let it go and carry on.

Yeah, that sounds close enough to a legitimate shout that I'd be inclined to just let it go and carry on.
Not sure I buy that. Why is a keeper yelling when the attacker has the ball? The legitimate reason for the keeper to call is to make his teammates know he's getting the ball so they teammates don't get in the way. Nonetheless, I probably have nothing here--I'd need evidence the attacker was distracted, which seems unlikely. (And, depending on level and tone of game, I would likely take an opportunity to let the GK know that if he had distracted the kicker by that behavior, it would be a caution and an IFK.)

For me it happened quickly. The keeper shouted it as the striker was taking his shot. The striker subsequently missed. This was a fairly high level academy game, so the lads on both teams were constantly communicating.

I felt I had a valid case to do the distraction IDFK and caution, but I think it would have been a KMI and lead to a lot of controversy. I gave the benefit of the doubt due to the defenders being close (on the shoulder of the striker) so in my opinion the keeper had some sort of justification to communicate with them.

Back