A&H

The FA badge

callmemyref

Why would you need The FA referee badge?

My understanding is that we only need County FA badge for county games, and it's not necessary to have The FA badge for opther games?

The Referee Store
It’s a question of perception, and projecting yourself to the others in the game you’re doing.

Psychologically you project you’re a not just someone who’s rocked up on the day. Symbolism is important to humans. We see a badge or logo and acknowledge it has some more authority or belonging. County FA badges can be confusing, but the FA badge with the lions is recognisable. You know it straightaway, even if you have a casual, passing interest in football.

Most player shirts have a club badge on for the same reason. It makes them appear more official, like they’re “proper” rather than a gaggle of scratch players out for a kickabout.

Let’s go to the other extreme for a moment. How many people know what the Euston station symbol looks like? The first thing that comes to mind is the standard TFL signage.

But how many would identify the coat of arms? And even fewer would know that the diagonal rod with its white and blue bars means the nobleman it represents was an illegitimate son. Unless you have an interest in heraldry or are a regular visitor to the station you wouldn’t know this.

*waits while people google it*

Most will recognise the TFL blue bar with the name on going across the red circle. It’s ubiquitous, and known. It says “I’m a London station”, “I belong here…”

The same works with the FA badge. While county or league badges are more important to those organisations, to everyone else they don’t mean as much.

You could be doing a game with one team form your county and one outside or an inter county match, where the home county normally provide the officials.

Yes I know we are not bias to our own County teams, but I have heard that accusation levelled in the heat of the game :rolleyes:

You could be doing a game with one team form your county and one outside or an inter county match, where the home county normally provide the officials.

Yes I know we are not bias to our own County teams, but I have heard that accusation levelled in the heat of the game :rolleyes:
I've been sent on a long journey as an AR when I was still in Essex so that we had a team of Essex officials doing a match between a Kent and Sussex team, for exactly that reason. Nonsense (and frustrating given the extremely low match fee and no mileage due to being driven by the ref), but it definitely happens!

I've been sent on a long journey as an AR when I was still in Essex so that we had a team of Essex officials doing a match between a Kent and Sussex team, for exactly that reason. Nonsense (and frustrating given the extremely low match fee and no mileage due to being driven by the ref), but it definitely happens!
I've been 4th official on an inter county match (one team from my county) and away team insisted on neutral officials - they came from the Army and had all come from a long way away (midweek evening game as well!)

There's always been confusion between the FAMOA badge and the FA badge. The latter is the coloured one that you only get awarded for refereeing a major national cup final, the former (which might not be called FAMOA anymore) is the one that any referee can wear. Unless it has changed since my time it is mandatory to wear the FAMOA badge at contrib level.

For FA competitions you must wear your county badge, or the FA badge if it has been awarded. The FA will usually use "neutral" county officials for their competitions, don't think I can ever remember refereeing a London FA team in an FA comp, although for replays in the early stages the home county arrange the assistant referees.

You do however need to think about first impressions. I observed a London FA referee on a supply league game when a Northamptonshire team were playing a London team. He turned up wearing a London FA tie, and that to me is a risk and people made comments about it in the boardroom (such as has he travelled up on the coach with them). Far better to wear a plain tie in those situations.

There's always been confusion between the FAMOA badge and the FA badge. The latter is the coloured one that you only get awarded for refereeing a major national cup final, the former (which might not be called FAMOA anymore) is the one that any referee can wear. Unless it has changed since my time it is mandatory to wear the FAMOA badge at contrib level.

For FA competitions you must wear your county badge, or the FA badge if it has been awarded. The FA will usually use "neutral" county officials for their competitions, don't think I can ever remember refereeing a London FA team in an FA comp, although for replays in the early stages the home county arrange the assistant referees.

You do however need to think about first impressions. I observed a London FA referee on a supply league game when a Northamptonshire team were playing a London team. He turned up wearing a London FA tie, and that to me is a risk and people made comments about it in the boardroom (such as has he travelled up on the coach with them). Far better to wear a plain tie in those situations.
Not so hard and fast as I ran the line in a team of 3 cornish officials for a trophy match involving a cornish side albeit played in a different county.

Not so hard and fast as I ran the line in a team of 3 cornish officials for a trophy match involving a cornish side albeit played in a different county.

Guess that's a geography thing, can't be that easy to get officials from other counties into Cornwall. Whereas in London it is bordered by Essex, Herts, Berks & Bucks, Middlesex, Surrey and Kent, and the geography free AFA, so it is very easy to appoint outside officials without crippling the clubs with ridiculous expenses.

Guess that's a geography thing, can't be that easy to get officials from other counties into Cornwall. Whereas in London it is bordered by Essex, Herts, Berks & Bucks, Middlesex, Surrey and Kent, and the geography free AFA, so it is very easy to appoint outside officials without crippling the clubs with ridiculous expenses.
Dont think I was clear. The game was not played in Cornwall. But in Devon. Could have easily got Devon based officials or even Dorset based. The opposition were Gloucestershire.
I get the case and FA cup appts way down west have to have cornish officials, not much can be done but trophy and played elsewhere didn't really get it

Back