The Ref Stop

The ball after a goal

socal lurker

RefChat Addict
I'm curious how y'all on that side of the pond handle the squabble for the ball after the team that is behind scores and wants to grab the ball to run it to midfield and the team that was scored on wants to keep the ball.

(My curiosity is inspired a bit by the scene towards the end of the Canada-Mexico ice bowl, when Mexico scored to close to 2-1, and the Canadian GK dove on the ball inside the goal, which inspired three Mexican players to mug him and knock the ball out of his hands, resulting in a further squabble and the referee screaming at the GK while the Mexican players ran off with the ball.)

The Ref Stop
Just let them get on with whatever idiocy they're gonna do. (Cards as necessary). Just let the team that's trying to hold on to the ball (easy "delaying the restart" caution) that you're adding time on anyway ... :)

Good advice from @Anubis above. I always find these situations interesting because the team who have just scored actually have no 'right' to the ball ... it's not their kick off! So, assuming that the defender / GK has done nothing obvious to delay the restart, my sympathies tend to lie with them rather than the players trying to grab the ball from them.

My sympathies are on the other side. For me the only reason the keeper is holding on to the ball is to delay the restart. But it would be rare for me to caution the goalkeeper only. If it's low level handbags, then there usually is no need for a caution. If it causes a Mahan then it's cautions each side.

My sympathies are on the other side. For me the only reason the keeper is holding on to the ball is to delay the restart. But it would be rare for me to caution the goalkeeper only. If it's low level handbags, then there usually is no need for a caution. If it causes a Mahan then it's cautions each side.
But often times attackers are trying to grab the ball from the GK the very moment he has picked it out of the net .. for me, that's unacceptable and unwarranted. As ever, you need to be there to judge. But I still see many referees act as if the 'attacking' team have a right to the ball and that's simply not the case ....

But often times attackers are trying to grab the ball from the GK the very moment he has picked it out of the net

As you say it's all YHTBT. But also 'often' the keeper only goes to pick the ball only when he sees attackers are coming for it. Otherwise he would have no interest in it. Because he wants the restart to take as long as possible.

I agree the attacking team has no right to the ball.

If for whatever reason I think possession of the ball is likely to be contentious after a goal, the easiest solution is to get in close to be a visible presence and ask the GK to give you the ball. If they know you're taking possession, that's usually enough to placate both sides as long as you can make it clear that's what's happening before anything actually violent occurs.

But often times attackers are trying to grab the ball from the GK the very moment he has picked it out of the net .. for me, that's unacceptable and unwarranted. As ever, you need to be there to judge. But I still see many referees act as if the 'attacking' team have a right to the ball and that's simply not the case ....

the black and white reality is overlooked by the attacking team rushing to get the ball back....

no matter how quickly they retrieve the ball, nothing is happenimg until we as referee as ready!
its not the ball they should be grabbing and rushing back to halfway, its us!

Thanks all. Mostly sounds similar to what we do on this side. Since these conflicts are not uncommon--like the one in Canada/Mexico in which I though cautions were definitely warranted for wrestling the ball away from the GK--I wouldn't mind if IFAB would drop something into the Laws to clarify that attackers are not permitted to touch the ball after a goal. That leaves the R in a position to just deal with delays--and of course at any serious competitions there are numerous other balls, so no one even needs that ball from the back of the goal.

It's one of the most likely causes of MC's.
The R should get straight in there, fists flying and fight everyone to retrieve the ball, thereby keeping the piece. Well Above Standard Match Control 😏

For me it's just about being on top of it. Often when you make the point that the restart is actually the opponents and the quicker they get back the quicker we get started again.

The irony is as long as matey is in the net trying to get the ball back the game cannot be restarted anyway.

Back