A&H

That Peter Crouch podcast and referees - can players influence decisions?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Pass the pod!
I love the podcast, discovered it late, and highly recommend it. It’s now into a 3rd season and it’s great fun right from the first show. Find it on BBC, Spotify etc.

There’s quite a bit about refs. Series 1 has a refs episode. It’s good stuff but I still squirm at the idea that our hero can’t imagine being mates with a referee, yet is mates with journalists and agents!

There’s also a comedy “riff” about Dre (Andre Marriner) that’s good value.

But, on to season 3’s captains episode, in which our hero opines that captains need to be in the middle of the park to add that 1% of influence which can sway a referee’s decision in their favour.

I’d love to hear from elite refs on this (who have experience with well known players, big salaries and big crowds) but I think Crouchy - and possibly all footballers and the whole of football - have this wrong. Elite referees have already made their decision at the time of the incident and pathetic attempts to influence the ref are met with 20 years of training and suspicion. There is no 1 % on offer! Stop complaining! You are definitely not going to benefit. The only possible result is a negative effect!

What do you think?

The Referee Store
it is a great podcast but not listened to any of the new series yet

i think it's impossible to influence the referee over a stand alone decision (anything from direction of throw in to whether it's a foul or not)

however i think it's perfectly permissible for a players (or teams) actions over the course of a game to either positively or negatively influence a referee. if the player / team have been a set of c**ts from minute 1 to 90 you'll be less likely to give them that 60:40 decision (in my opinion) and the same might work in reverse.

i'm not saying this is a conscious decision (though it may well be), i just think it's human nature

it is a great podcast but not listened to any of the new series yet

i think it's impossible to influence the referee over a stand alone decision (anything from direction of throw in to whether it's a foul or not)

however i think it's perfectly permissible for a players (or teams) actions over the course of a game to either positively or negatively influence a referee. if the player / team have been a set of c**ts from minute 1 to 90 you'll be less likely to give them that 60:40 decision (in my opinion) and the same might work in reverse.

i'm not saying this is a conscious decision (though it may well be), i just think it's human nature

I agree on that front around a cumulative effect either positively, but most often negatively.

In a game last night one of the away team was a real pain, nowhere near dissent but whining the whole game. They were losing 4-1 and every time the opposition had a dead ball he was banging on about them time wasting.

Away team scores to make it 4-2, and the moaning away player has one foot in the wrong half when home team kicks off. Because he'd been acting like he did, we had a retake with it being clear that it was him that had caused their valuable time to be wasted.

Referees are influenced in every minute of every game. It's impossible to be without bias of one form or another

I agree on that front around a cumulative effect either positively, but most often negatively.

In a game last night one of the away team was a real pain, nowhere near dissent but whining the whole game. They were losing 4-1 and every time the opposition had a dead ball he was banging on about them time wasting.

Away team scores to make it 4-2, and the moaning away player has one foot in the wrong half when home team kicks off. Because he'd been acting like he did, we had a retake with it being clear that it was him that had caused their valuable time to be wasted.
So, "we" all know this. Why don't players, especially professionals, and coaches... why are they so misinformed?

Football is bizarre.

Paid 200k a week - but don't know the laws. Paid 200k a week - think screaming at a ref is going to get you a decision that might lead to victory.
WRONG!

It's part culture, but mostly idiocy.

You see what I am getting at here... if a large amount of player dissent is because they think it will get them 1%, if they found out that wasn't the case, maybe they'd knock it on the head!

So, "we" all know this. Why don't players, especially professionals, and coaches... why are they so misinformed?

Football is bizarre.

Paid 200k a week - but don't know the laws. Paid 200k a week - think screaming at a ref is going to get you a decision that might lead to victory.
WRONG!

It's part culture, but mostly idiocy.

You see what I am getting at here... if a large amount of player dissent is because they think it will get them 1%, if they found out that wasn't the case, maybe they'd knock it on the head!

i find it bizarre too

i used to play 6 a side and one of the refs was a contrib league player. he knew me from games so i was decent to him in our games and on more than one occasion when i appealed for an 80:20 decision he'd give it my way (including a penalty which was never a pen!)

whether is a game changing decision or the odd throw / dodgy foul, the ref is more likely to give you the decision if you've not been a kn*b to them all game! amazed that players dont know this

Back