A&H

Talented but no-show

Guts

Heya all
So basically I used to be a "young, regional talent" several years go, but went out of the game due to moving abroad. I should say that I am not living in the UK, but in another Western European country. However, it was the UK I moved to at the time. I have recently gotten back into refereeing, and have only been back for half a season, so keep this in mind.

Now being older and any change at the top flight is below 1 %, if even that. I've been out of the game for years, but I have aspirations to go as far I can. However, I struggle a bit with the contrast from then vs. now. I was by no means given special treatment at the time, nor did I actually feel like I had a "talent"/knack for refereeing in particular. But I was given more assessments then than now, and things seem different now vs. then. Overall, e.g. the association has a greater focus on bringing "young talent" up, and assessors are lacking more in numbers now compared to then from what I know. If I get 2-3 assessments/season, I should be happy (maybe consider myself lucky). During this first half season I've had 1, but he recommended that I got 1 more (which hasn't happened).

I know, it might be hard to relate to this, as I am not in the UK system wise, but has anyone had a (long) pause from the game and then returned (while still having some aspirations), and how did you deal with this?

Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas

The Referee Store
Not the pause, but I started at 39 and advanced but hit a glass ceiling and I compete against “the young talent” and I’m in a Nordic country;)

It’s a running joke with my association that I apply for the referee academy every year - “if you are over 25 you can still apply…”

Understandable that most training and assessment resources go into the best and brightest under 25s that have the chance to go all the way.

Frustrating for me as e.g. video reviews and more work with mentors and better refs gives the others huge advantages. And of course frustrating when I should be one level higher - could have been trained to go higher still.

Last edited:
Not the pause, but I started at 39 and advanced but hit a glass ceiling and I compete against “the young talent” and I’m in a Nordic country;)

It’s a running joke with my association that I apply for the referee academy every year - “if you are over 25 you can still apply…”

Understandable that most training and assessment resources go into the best and brightest under 25s that have the chance to go all the way.

Frustrating for me as e.g. video reviews and more work with mentors and better refs gives the others huge advantages. And of course frustrating when I should be one level higher - could have been trained to go higher still.

Thanks for your reply. I'm also from a Nordic country; maybe it was obvious :D However, it doesn't sound like we're from the same one. May I ask what level (roughly if you don't wanna be too specific) you're at?

Mens, I flag the 4th tier and whistle the fifth - should be 4th!
Womens, whistle/flag 2nd tier as women only in the prem (but whistle prem futsal).
Flag top tier boys (elite u17 are the best matches I do), whistle top girls.

Problem I have is mens third is nationally run and I think no AR over 40 has “ever” been promoted. And I just hit five-O! And of course the powers want to promote the best young talents.

The ageism of course is frustrating. I should point out that I made an effort to make sure speed and fitness are not in question. Generally though I have had a lot of support from peers, refsecs and mentors. I have been given plenty of great games - and it has been an amazing experience to be part of our very diverse and bright ref community.

That sounds pretty good. But I understand your frustration around the age issue. How do you stay motivated if your prospects of promotions are dim?

I've considered trying to focus on the AR side, and see if it's possible to reach 2-3 steps higher compared to being the main ref. But I have no idea whether this is feasible and/or if they pay attention to this, unless you are several steps higher than I am at the moment.

Back