A&H

Tactical Fouls

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
just a quick question regarding a theoretical match incident......

Red vs. Blue.

Blue attack goal and are dispossessed inside the 18 yard box.Red break with the ball from their own D and advance quickly. As the ball gets to the half way line its 3 v 3 and a blue attacker shouts 'take him down' which a retreating blue midfielder does with a basic trip.

So you award the free kick and caution the tripper for the tactical foul.

Would you also caution the shouter for unsporting behaviour?

The Referee Store
Im considered 'leniant' on this forum, but even I would caution both players (red if the tripper had been last man).

Shouting "foul him", "stand on the ball", "hold the keeper", in my book is unsporting conduct and thats a caution.

(Verbal usually - but if they are constantly barking unsporting advice, they know they'll get a caution for it!)

Tbh you very rarely get a shouter but by cautioning you open a can of worms as you would then have to caution every player who shouts something disagreeable!

Tbh you very rarely get a shouter but by cautioning you open a can of worms as you would then have to caution every player who shouts something disagreeable!

Oooo, theres "disagreeable" and theres telling someone to commit a professional foul.

If I cautioned every disagreement, id run out of players in the first half! :D

Show me where in LOTG there is ANYTHING about last man?!
In order for a player to be sent off for denying an "obvious goal-scoring opportunity," four elements must be present:
  • Number of Defenders -- not more than one defender between the foul and the goal, not counting the defender who committed the foul
  • Distance to goal -- the closer the foul is to the goal, the more likely it is an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
  • Distance to ball -- the attacker must have been close enough to the ball at the time of the foul to have continued playing the ball
  • Direction of play -- the attacker must have been moving toward the goal at the time the foul was committed
Im now questioning my sanity here - if you trip a player before he goes 1-on-1 to the keeper thats DOGO?

only if it has actually denied an obvious opportunity

as a blackpool fan, giving our strikers the ball in a one on one with the keeper could never be adjudged 'obvious'

Haha.

Just to backfill, I didnt mean my comment in the OP scenario, I meant if someone had shouted a player to take another player out - if that was the last man - would be a sending off offence.

I would be hard pressed to give one on the halfway line, last man or not, as distance to goal would give a lot of quick players the opportunity to cover.

To summarise, even if the player didnt foul them under instruction, if its last man *and* DOGO and they foul them, they're walking.

Emphasis on *obvious* - I consider 1-on-1 with the keeper one of these.

In order for a player to be sent off for denying an "obvious goal-scoring opportunity," four elements must be present:
  • Number of Defenders -- not more than one defender between the foul and the goal, not counting the defender who committed the foul
  • Distance to goal -- the closer the foul is to the goal, the more likely it is an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
  • Distance to ball -- the attacker must have been close enough to the ball at the time of the foul to have continued playing the ball
  • Direction of play -- the attacker must have been moving toward the goal at the time the foul was committed
Im now questioning my sanity here - if you trip a player before he goes 1-on-1 to the keeper thats DOGO?
So it's not a sending off for last man, is it? It's a sending off for Denying An Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity!

Us refs have enough problems with the uneducated pundits such as Martin Tyler, Martin Keown et al getting laws wrong and the general public believing they're right. As a ref, be VERY careful about your wording. There is no offence for 'last man', there is for DOGSO/H

There is no offence for 'last man', there is for DOGSO/H

Ah, I thought I was taking crazy pills! You're concern was with my wording - not my offence.

I dont think (and I really hope) that nobody thought I was simply sending him off for being the last man :p

Ah, I thought I was taking crazy pills! You're concern was with my wording - not my offence.

I dont think (and I really hope) that nobody thought I was simply sending him off for being the last man :p
That's how it came across!
It's all about wording!!

In fairness that's why the scenario above was a fast break with 3v3 than 1v1, just to take the DOGSO argument away from it and focus on the shouter.

Obviously even if it was 1v1 if the trip was on the half way line I wouldn't be looking for red anyway.

With regard to OP - I'd do what you did. Caution the player committing the foul only.

Back