The Ref Stop

SWPL 2024-25 MW9 + 10 - penalty decisions (inc. handball DOGSO red or yellow?)

CaptainsPlease

Level 5 and
Level 3W Referee
Incident 1 - Hibernian v Montrose (1:19)
I think DOGSO-red is harsh here given the ball comes off the keeper immediately onto her arm. I'd agree with awarding the penalty but think it was non-deliberate and should have been a caution.

Incident 2 + 3 - Rangers v Celtic (1:18) - two incidents immediately following each other
First: agree fairly straightforward penalty for handball - unnatural position and no caution needed - looks probably just on the line but close call!
Second: disagree I am not seeing what the Law 12 offence is supposed to be, the defender simply seems to be 'in the way' which is not an offence, and it can't be impeding because the ball is within playing distance of both?

Incident 4 - Rangers v Glasgow City (3:01)
Penalty not awarded, looks a clear careless foul to me

Bonus Incident 5 (not a penalty :) )- Motherwell v Dundee United (1:53)
Good strong decision to go DOGSO-red here when others might prefer SPA due to distance.

The Ref Stop
Incident 4... a soft penalty is still a penalty. There seems to be this look at the feet thing going on which I think a lot of us are guilty of while it is the upper thigh that really does the work here in bringing the Rangers player down.

I disagree about incident 4. For me, the fall is not consequential of the contact, so despite there being upper leg contact, it's not enough for me.

Incident 2- easy handball

Incident 3- not having that as a foul

Incident 4 is a prime example where it could either way, and had there been VAR, it wouldn’t have got involved either way.

There’s a definitely contact, but agree with @RefereeX that the contact wasn’t enough to make her go down the way she did.

5- easy DOGSO for me

I think it a Careless foul and DOGSO.

Don't think you could argue distance for not a DOGSO, all considerations are quite clear.

I've watched this multiple times and can't see what @RefereeX and @Runner Ref are seeing. It's a trip, barely a challenge for the ball, and is the sole reason the player goes down and there appears to be zero complaints from anyone at the decision either.

I disagree about incident 4. For me, the fall is not consequential of the contact, so despite there being upper leg contact, it's not enough for me.
Agree in that the fall is not a consequence of contact. It looked to be a deliberate fall. But neither the fall nor the contact are really the determining factors (they can be used as considerations). The determining factor is if the challenge was careless as defined by law. And that is very subjective especially here as opinions can be influenced by the attacker trying to 'milk it'. For me it's careless but I can understand the opposing view. Not as clear as the OP says it is.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution

For me, defnder was within all those things.

I think it a Careless foul and DOGSO.

Don't think you could argue distance for not a DOGSO, all considerations are quite clear.

I've watched this multiple times and can't see what @RefereeX and @Runner Ref are seeing. It's a trip, barely a challenge for the ball, and is the sole reason the player goes down and there appears to be zero complaints from anyone at the decision either.
Are you looking at same incident? They didn't give the pen...... Or are you referring to incident 3?

For me, there's no chance there is enough contact for attackers left leg to be thrown out the way it is. Losing a derby and trying to get a soft one imo.

Incident 1 - Hibernian v Montrose (1:19)
I think DOGSO-red is harsh here given the ball comes off the keeper immediately onto her arm. I'd agree with awarding the penalty but think it was non-deliberate and should have been a caution.

Incident 2 + 3 - Rangers v Celtic (1:18) - two incidents immediately following each other
First: agree fairly straightforward penalty for handball - unnatural position and no caution needed - looks probably just on the line but close call!
Second: disagree I am not seeing what the Law 12 offence is supposed to be, the defender simply seems to be 'in the way' which is not an offence, and it can't be impeding because the ball is within playing distance of both?

Incident 4 - Rangers v Glasgow City (3:01)
Penalty not awarded, looks a clear careless foul to me

Bonus Incident 5 (not a penalty :) )- Motherwell v Dundee United (1:53)
Good strong decision to go DOGSO-red here when others might prefer SPA due to distance.
I agree on everything.
The first handball seems harsh as I don’t think anyone knows if it was “in the box” but yeah. Excellent clips.

Back