A&H

Swansea penalty - handball?

The Referee Store
That's got to be the very definition of an 'unexpected ball.' It deflected off his team mate from so close and at such speed that he never even saw it coming.

Why are his hands up there if not to block the ball?

Move on. Nothing to see here

Edit: Should have added this is my thought process, when looking at this type of incident.

Last edited:
Reactions: JH
Might forgive the crappy reflex at parks level, especially at lower grades.

At this level? Penalty.

Personally I'm not even sure it was going to hit his head. If I think it's going to miss, I'll put down the penalty at any level.

I can accept the argument from fans that it shouldn't be a penalty - but to say it's one of the worst decisions ever is just absolute one-eyed nonsense. Even those arguing against a penalty can surely at least see that there's some argument for a penalty.

Blocking his face.
My post really meant instinctive, not deliberate
The usual keeper filling in as centre back instinctively dives and saves a certain goal by palming the ball away. What do you do? ;)

The usual keeper filling in as centre back instinctively dives and saves a certain goal by palming the ball away. What do you do? ;)
An "instinctive" dive towards a fast moving object is not the same as a self-protective reflex. You can quite justifiably punish the two things differently.

An "instinctive" dive towards a fast moving object is not the same as a self-protective reflex. You can quite justifiably punish the two things differently.
Ah now you have brought in two new factors into the equation which change the landscape. Mr "reflex" and Mrs "self-protective". :)

I was just pointing out "instinctive" alone doesn't nullify deliberateness. There are a lot of factors and considerations, some in the lotg, some in FIFA considerations and some others like skill level as mentioned by @CapnBloodbeard .

No penalty for me. Lot of pace on the ball, big deflection. There's no way he could react that quickly deliberately

He's saved it! Hands towards ball. Penalty.

Since when do we give a free pass for players to protect themselves with their hands? This is nonsense that fans are spouting in the replies to the tweet.

I'm torn on this one, I can equally justify either argument, I dont think there is a wrong answer either, was it deliberate, maybe, was it intentional handball, i'm not sure it was.... I thing any referee who's miles closer than us seeing this at match speed can give whatever he likes as he saw it as its not 100% either way IMO!!

For me this is handball. My eyes must be going funny, I dont see the deflection.. yes its at speed but he could just as easily duck out the way then throw hands at it. Deliberate act of hand making contavt with the ball for me.

Reactions: JH
For me this is handball. My eyes must be going funny, I dont see the deflection.. yes its at speed but he could just as easily duck out the way then throw hands at it. Deliberate act of hand making contavt with the ball for me.

Duck out of the way? What's the game coming to.

Would be interested to hear Dermot Gallagher's (who is employed by the PGMO) opinion of this after he said last week it wasn't deliberate handball if you were protecting your face.

Handball for me.

Duck out of the way? What's the game coming to.

Would be interested to hear Dermot Gallagher's (who is employed by the PGMO) opinion of this after he said last week it wasn't deliberate handball if you were protecting your face.

Handball for me.
Are you saying he just take it smack in the face? Lol.

Are you saying he just take it smack in the face? Lol.

Ducking out the way of a shot that's potentially on target? Wouldn't accept that from a teammate in a Sunday League game, it's a professional players job to put his body on the line.

Ducking out the way of a shot that's potentially on target? Wouldn't accept that from a teammate in a Sunday League game, it's a professional players job to put his body on the line.

But not his hands !

Im with Sheffield on this, can see arguments for and against,

But if he is going to handball it and give his opponent a free shot he might as well duck out see if keeper can save/shot off target.
I get what you mean, but he has potentially cost his side a goal that might otherwise not have been scored had he not punched it away

Can see both sides of the argument here, but that ball was travelling at serious pace and I think the handball is harsh, even if it isn't technically wrong.

Back