A&H

Sunderland/Newcastle

MattyontheWhistle

RefChat Addict
Right, only just managed to sit and catch up with the highlights program, and we're on Sunderland v Newcastle.

I am finding it extremely difficult to tell the two teams apart, not sure how the ref (Probert?) manages, but black and white stripes vs red and white stripes, both in black shorts ?

Who did the kit check pre-game?

Probably the same guy who checks the nets in Bundesliga.......

The Referee Store
I though exactly the same when I watched the game. It might have been easier to differentiate on the pitch than on camera, similar situation to Schalke/Chelsea the other week.

The Premier League tell the clubs and officials what kit to wear, including GK's. So they've old have decided that both teams are in black shorts. Don't know why though

It's awful - the most watched league in the world and they don't make Newcastle change their kit!

It's the same with Stoke when they're away (eg Everton) and they keep their white shorts.

And don't get me started with goalkeepers and referees wearing yellow......

Was at Stevenage V Crawley last week, the Crawley goalkeeper was wearing exactly the same yellow as the ref. It seems that they don't really care what the goalkeepers wear anymore. Would have been OK if they'd worn the grey or purple.

Football League is different.
They choose on matchday who wears what.

In order;
Home team, away team, home GK, away GK, officials.
If all 4 colours (black, yellow, purple & grey) are worn by clubs, officials are to clash with one of the GK's.

As I said, PL is a different beast as even if the match officials on the day don't agree with a particular colour clash, they can't do anything about it as it's instructed by PL

So you're saying that the LOAF is being overruled by the PL numpties?

I think PGMOL should stand up against it, because the rest of the footballing world have to follow the LOAF. And on a personal note, I'm the one standing in my changing room explaining to the manager/secretary that his goalkeeper can't wear black because I'm wearing black and I don't care what the PL do on the telly, it's my decision per the Laws!

So you're saying that the LOAF is being overruled by the PL numpties?

I think PGMOL should stand up against it, because the rest of the footballing world have to follow the LOAF. And on a personal note, I'm the one standing in my changing room explaining to the manager/secretary that his goalkeeper can't wear black because I'm wearing black and I don't care what the PL do on the telly, it's my decision per the Laws!
Ian, I 100% agree with you. Unfortunately, that's how it is currently. Yes, PL overrule LOAF for competition rules regarding the GK colours (not PGMOL)

and yet when Norwich visit OT, they change from yellow to White - since when did yellow clash with red?

Mind you, I remember one season Norwich getting slated for producing and selling three kits, and yet, they never had to change strip once.

I wonder how much of these decisions is governed by marketing departments - need to sell more away kits? Wear them more often.

TV is, I believe, one of the main drivers of this. remember in the days of B&W? As a kid I remember watching a Manchester Derby, when one of the teams had to change strip because the red and the blue looked the same shade of grey. It's also why commentators ALWAYS say "they are playing from right to left" - well, not if you're the other side of the ground they're not - but it comes from helping the TV viewer understand what was going on with the grey shirts on the FOP.

Snooker: "and for those of you watching in B&W, the Pink is the one behind the Blue"

Back