A&H

Substitutions

Redref34

Level 5 Referee
May seem a silly question, but it’s something that often causes me an issue.

The league I am currently refereeing in stipulate that the referee should be handed the names of the subs before the start of the game and should keep a record of substitutions throughout. It is roll on roll off.

How do people keep track of substitutions?
Any tips?

At grassroots it seem to be a bit of a free for all and I have tried to get on top of nailing this with my coach over the last couple of games.

Thanks

The Referee Store
May seem a silly question, but it’s something that often causes me an issue.

The league I am currently refereeing in stipulate that the referee should be handed the names of the subs before the start of the game and should keep a record of substitutions throughout. It is roll on roll off.

How do people keep track of substitutions?
Any tips?

At grassroots it seem to be a bit of a free for all and I have tried to get on top of nailing this with my coach over the last couple of games.

Thanks
I assume we must be talking youth football here(?)

To be completely honest, the whole idea of keeping track of the substitutions in a normal game ie where they're only allowed "x" from "y" is to ensure that only the permitted number are used.

With roll on roll off, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what you track in your notebook in the grand scheme of things ...

I assume we must be talking youth football here(?)

To be completely honest, the whole idea of keeping track of the substitutions in a normal game ie where they're only allowed "x" from "y" is to ensure that only the permitted number are used.

With roll on roll off, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what you track in your notebook in the grand scheme of things ...

Well yes youth but open age more specifically ..

For example ..

I have had two coaching games now both open age. My coach wanted me to get on top of substitutions (do from half way line, not allow player to come on until one has left etc) it’s roll on roll off and this is proving hard to control even with me doing my best.

I have a cup game soon so I suppose it would be necessary for me to know who is on the FOP at the end of extra time for penalties..

For example ..

I have had two coaching games now both open age. My coach wanted me to get on top of substitutions (do from half way line, not allow player to come on until one has left etc) it’s roll on roll off and this is proving hard to control even with me doing my best.

I have a cup game soon so I suppose it would be necessary for me to know who is on the FOP at the end of extra time for penalties..
If it's proving hard to control, I suggest speak to both managers before the game. Tell them you will control substitutions at halfway and the restart is on your whistle. Tell them if needs be there will be cautions for players leaving/entering the field of play without permission and it's up to the managers to prevent those cautions, nice and easy. If the ball is already out of play (likely for a sub) then there's no change to the restart so easy cautions to administer etc. Be firm but polite, remember, you're the referee. The game doesn't restart until you're happy and back in position.

Edit - take your time, there's no rush. You're in control, you need to show that.

For example ..

In which case, like I said, it makes little difference. If your coach wants you following protocol properly, ie on the half way line, one off before the other one comes on etc. then that's fine (it's basics anyway tbh) but nobody but you is going to know who has come off and back on again. You could realistically write in your notebook (or not) whatever you like. So long as nobody is coming on that's not on the team sheet ... (?)

It is not feasible to be expected to keep a record of all substitutions made with return substitutions in place. That is simply because there is no limit to the number of substitutions a team can make. The size of your note paper is limited so unless a league wants to buy you a smartwatch to record the subs.........

A referee's responsibility under the laws is to verify the substitute's name was given to them before the match when they first come on, to check equipment, and to make sure the substitution procedure is correctly followed.

Where it is useful is cup games that might go to penalties, if you are recording every number on and off you know who is eligible to take the penalties.

But I tend to agree that it is very difficult to write everything down. All you can really do is check they were named as subs and tick them off as they come on.

Is it due to eligibility?
We have rules in place that a player from a certain grade is only allowed to play up a certain number of times before they are considered part of that side now.

Stops you having your first team all registered for your third grade team, when finals roll around all of a sudden all your first team players drop back to third grade to win the grand final.

Work backwards from why you need to know this information. So as others have pointed out, cup games it's important to try and keep a full record so that you know who are eligible penalty takers. In this context, you jut have to try and do your best.

Where that's not the case, what do the league ask you to report? Mine generally want to know which subs were used and when they first came on (for similar eligibility reasons), so that's generally all I record. When a player comes back on who started the game, all I'll do is confirm "You started, right?" and if they answer yes, don't even need to get the book out.

Your coach is probably making sure you learn proper sub management, as that can be important when you do go up the ladder or when you're working as senior AR in a X from Y league, so grassroots is a good time to practice. But grassroots is also a stressful place to be and I don't think you should overburden yourself trying to diligently record information that has no value and won't ever be used for anything.

Is it due to eligibility?
We have rules in place that a player from a certain grade is only allowed to play up a certain number of times before they are considered part of that side now.

Stops you having your first team all registered for your third grade team, when finals roll around all of a sudden all your first team players drop back to third grade to win the grand final.
In England the rule is that if a player is a named sub they are not deemed to have played in the game. So it is important the referee knows which subs came on and can report that to the league, as it can affect things like cup and other eligibility rules.

Back