A&H

Sub question

RefJef

RefChat Addict
After your thoughts, please, about an incident from my game this morning. I am more than happy with how I dealt with it from the context of this particular game, but curious as to what should be done by law.

15 mins to go. Blues 5-0 up, game was only ever going to end one way (I give you this for context). I award blues a penalty, no drama, no disagreements, a stonewall pen.

Blues manager calls “sub please ref”, and I say fine. Meanwhile, I’m telling the keeper it‘ll be on the whistle and ask the Blue player with the ball in hand if he’s taking it, to which he says yes.

it then turns out that the sub the blues manager is asking for is to remove the penalty taker. Now, he’s already got two goals, so is on his hat trick, is the team’s normal penalty taker. He doesn’t want to go off, and tells his manager this.

its obvious he’s not going off, manager wants him off. another blue player ask me ”does he have to go off”.

now, if I’m honest, Im not 100% sure (hence this thread) So I say it’s between him and his boss, not up to me to decide who gets subbed on and off. Players all happy with this, ball gets put on the spot, penalty taken, he scores and then goes off before the restart, and sub comes on.

As I say, in the context of this game, I’m happy with that decision, everyone was happy, but I’m not sure in law. Should I have yellow carded him for refusing to leave the field of play?

Your thoughts please.

The Referee Store
After your thoughts, please, about an incident from my game this morning. I am more than happy with how I dealt with it from the context of this particular game, but curious as to what should be done by law.

15 mins to go. Blues 5-0 up, game was only ever going to end one way (I give you this for context). I award blues a penalty, no drama, no disagreements, a stonewall pen.

Blues manager calls “sub please ref”, and I say fine. Meanwhile, I’m telling the keeper it‘ll be on the whistle and ask the Blue player with the ball in hand if he’s taking it, to which he says yes.

it then turns out that the sub the blues manager is asking for is to remove the penalty taker. Now, he’s already got two goals, so is on his hat trick, is the team’s normal penalty taker. He doesn’t want to go off, and tells his manager this.

its obvious he’s not going off, manager wants him off. another blue player ask me ”does he have to go off”.

now, if I’m honest, Im not 100% sure (hence this thread) So I say it’s between him and his boss, not up to me to decide who gets subbed on and off. Players all happy with this, ball gets put on the spot, penalty taken, he scores and then goes off before the restart, and sub comes on.

As I say, in the context of this game, I’m happy with that decision, everyone was happy, but I’m not sure in law. Should I have yellow carded him for refusing to leave the field of play?

Your thoughts please.
Spot on @RefJef
No analysis needed

Law 3.3
• if a player who is to be substituted refuses to leave, play continues

Well handled

Edit: a tad too late :)

You might remember a similar situation in an FA cup semi final 2 seasons ago where kepa refused to come off when Sarri wanted to bring Cabellero on..
You got it spot on, nobody can force the player to come off, if he says no, play continues.

You might remember a similar situation in an FA cup semi final 2 seasons ago where kepa refused to come off when Sarri wanted to bring Cabellero on..
You got it spot on, nobody can force the player to come off, if he says no, play continues.
I was just going to mention the Caballero incident - it’s a perfect high-profile example of that law. As others have said, if the player doesn’t want to leave, then play on.

The pedant in me is forced to correct you...it was the league cup final!

Devil's advocate - what happens if the disagreement between the coach and the player delays the penalty being taken? Perhaps a yellow for delaying the restart of play?

Devil's advocate - what happens if the disagreement between the coach and the player delays the penalty being taken? Perhaps a yellow for delaying the restart of play?

The coach calls for the sub, the player says I'm not going off, then on we go to the PK. Neither the coach nor the player has done anything improper so I don't see a basis for DR caution. (If there is a caution, I think it is more likely to be to the coach for his behavior after the player refuses to come off and the referee declines to force the player off.)

Yeah the only person delaying the restart would be the referee waiting for a resolution. Once the referee says continue play and they dont restart, then we have cause for caution. But that would not be because of refusal to sub or the request. It would be because of refusal to restart.

Back