A&H

"Studs up"

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Had this in a few games but players bemoaning a "studs up" slide tackle from an opponent.

I remember my RDO who trained me asking the room if they know how it is possible to slide with your studs pointed down at the floor.

As far as I'm concerned "studs up" isn't relevant until we are having contact by the studs or the boot comes off the floor/at speed

The Referee Store
Its just a generic term people will shout in the hope that you will award them a free kick. Similarly to 'in the back'. Of course some 'studs up' challenges can be lethal if they catch someone incorrectly, but as you say, your studs have to be up in some form to slide challenge.

A player sliding from the side can make contact with the ball using the top of their boot (laces), which is fine . But if the studs are the first contact with the ball from either the side or straight on, as part of a slide tackle, Im looking at a possible infringement, excessive force or reckless challenge.

A player sliding from the side can make contact with the ball using the top of their boot (laces), which is fine . But if the studs are the first contact with the ball from either the side or straight on, as part of a slide tackle, Im looking at a possible infringement, excessive force or reckless challenge.
I was going to say this. I was more often a goalkeeper but also played quite often as a defender and frequently made this kind of slide tackle. As you say, from the side and making contact with the ball using the top of the boot/laces. Yes, in a sense the studs are up, but they're not facing the opponent and don't present any danger.

Back