The Ref Stop

Strange one

southernerinthenorthstill

Level 7 Referee
Reffed a game today very low level u15s gave a penalty but Red player who is fouled gets up in face of the defender easy AA yellow. Reds go on to win 6-2 Blue Manager mentions he thinks the guy I booked and 1 other are ringers I go to put this guys yellow on WGS and his very unique name is not on the list given this should I inform the leauge of suspicion as already submitted the name not that it matters but the player scored 4 of the 6 so was clearly capable of far higher standard.

The Ref Stop
You could drop the league a message to advise that the manager has suggested a possible ringer being played, but I wouldn’t get involved much further than that. And even then, I’m not sure I’d even do that.

We’re there to referee the players that turn up, not player registration. The manager can advise the league of his suspicions.

Ringers generally give you the name of a registered player. If he gave you the name of a non-registered player they'll get found out.

I would just contact the league with the facts, so tell them that the blue manager believes the opponents played ringers, and that the player you cautioned didn't appear on the WGS list of names. Might also be worth providing a physical description of the player as that might help the league with any investigation they carry out. Beyond that it is out of your hands.

As an aside, it can be very difficult for grass roots leagues to bring a case on accusations of playing a ringer. If there are no ID cards and no video footage it is essentially one team's word against the other, and it isn't uncommon they will show the referee a photo and ask him or her if that was the player. Happened recently in the Womens FA Cup, tier 7 club Hammersmith beat tier 6 Bromley 4-0 but in doing so played a keeper that wasn't registered to them. This was quite an easy one to sort out though as she seemingly used to play for Bromley so they all recognised her and noticed the absence of her name on the team sheet. They've been kicked out and also banned from entering next season.

Back