A&H

Stopping Play

lucy707

Hi all, just a few questions. I was recently reffing an U12s match and I had to stop the match at least 6 or 7 times for kids dojng up their shoe laces. I kept having kids shout 'ref then pointing to a kid dojng their laces but by then a thrown in had been taken but this resulted in the team with a man down complaining that play wasn't stopped. Anyway i ended just getting the team to retake the throw in. However, when I was actually playing myself (I play in an adults team) people would just do up their laces, including myself, without the referee stopping play. So may question is should I stop play when someone is doing their laces? I'm guessing it's just a youth thing as it was exactly the same when i was playing youth football.

Secondly, in that same game the goalkeeper was complaining that his vision was being blocked by a defender during a free kick. I didn't know what to do as my coach tells players in our team to annoy the goalkeeper so I just decided to leave it. Was this the right decision though as I'm really not sure?

Finally, a really general query about free kicks. Basically I'm having trouble determining what is a foul and what's not because there's some fouls that i penalise and others that I don't but either way sometimes the team being penalised are completely confused about why I gave the foul. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew any websites or has any advice about giving free kicks.

Thanks

The Referee Store
1> tedious as it sounds, U12 it might be sensible just to stop the game, safety first and all that, retaking the throw sounds sensible, if its very extreme in the first half, maybe a proactive half joking quick word with coach before 2nd half "hope laces are all tied, we hardly got into a game in the first half" might give you a bit of leeway if you choose not to stop as often 2nd half.
I think its important though to make sure if you do stop for one team, that you stop for the other

2> Vision being block is not an offence, it might be inconvienant for the gk, but tough. (am assuming you mean an opponent) As long as there is no blocking or clear contact then, other than proactive shouts "careful no fouls on goalie please", or better still " both of you, high ball coming your way, no fouls please" is about all you can do. Proactive, communicate.
Sorry I never picked up this is from a free kick, I just assumed it was say a corner, from a free kick where someone is blocking his vision then as below, offside is the concern rather than a foul as such, sorry, I typed too much too soon!! (we don't have offside at U12 here, U13 boys yes then U15 girls upwards)

3> You say you play, so, you must have some kind of footballing mentality. For me, its simple, esp when you begin, if it looks like a foul, give the foul. If it does not look like a foul, then don't. Make sure you try adjust your angles/positions to give you the optimum view of challenges. Watch a game on tv or go to a game and watch from the sides. Go in your head "foul" or "that's not a foul" and so on....even take a pen and paper and tick off how many times you went "foul" and the referee duly obliged. You might find your foul detection is better than you think...
the best website, is out there on the park, practise, there really is no other way....

Last edited:
1. I don't stop game for shoe laces. Some exceptions for goalkeepers. The key is to be consistent either way.
2. Penalise it only if 'attacker' blocking vision is in an offside position when kick is tacken. Otherwise he is entitled to his space.
3. Foul recognition is an art and comes with experience. Watch lots of games live or on TV. Pay a lot of attention to the referees. Also ask to be given appointments for AR for good referees and learn from them while doing their line.

1> tedious as it sounds, U12 it might be sensible just to stop the game, safety first and all that, retaking the throw sounds sensible, if its very extreme in the first half, maybe a proactive half joking quick word with coach before 2nd half "hope laces are all tied, we hardly got into a game in the first half" might give you a bit of leeway if you choose not to stop as often 2nd half.
I think its important though to make sure if you do stop for one team, that you stop for the other

2> Vision being block is not an offence, it might be inconvienant for the gk, but tough. (am assuming you mean an opponent) As long as there is no blocking or clear contact then, other than proactive shouts "careful no fouls on goalie please", or better still " both of you, high ball coming your way, no fouls please" is about all you can do. Proactive, communicate.

3> You say you play, so, you must have some kind of footballing mentality. For me, its simple, esp when you begin, if it looks like a foul, give the foul. If it does not look like a foul, then don't. Make sure you try adjust your angles/positions to give you the optimum view of challenges. Watch a game on tv or go to a game and watch from the sides. Go in your head "foul" or "that's not a foul" and so on....even take a pen and paper and tick off how many times you went "foul" and the referee duly obliged. You might find your foul detection is better than you think...
the best website, is out there on the park, practise, there really is no other way....
Thanks for your advice, it's really helpful👍🏼

1. I don't stop game for shoe laces. Some exceptions for goalkeepers. The key is to be consistent either way.
2. Penalise it only if 'attacker' blocking vision is in an offside position when kick is tacken. Otherwise he is entitled to his space.
3. Foul recognition is an art and comes with experience. Watch lots of games live or on TV. Pay a lot of attention to the referees. Also ask to be given appointments for AR for good referees and learn from them while doing their line.
Thanks👍🏼 yeah I'll try and watch more live games to detect fouls

I think with fouls the most important thing is to be consistent with both sides - if 'hands in the back' isn't a foul - then stick to that for the 90'.

As you gain more experience you will see that different levels/ages will want/not want fouls for different types of challenges.

As others have said, try to watch as much live football as possible. What isn't a foul in the Championship would certainly be at U13s for example.

I think with fouls the most important thing is to be consistent with both sides - if 'hands in the back' isn't a foul - then stick to that for the 90'.

As you gain more experience you will see that different levels/ages will want/not want fouls for different types of challenges.

As others have said, try to watch as much live football as possible. What isn't a foul in the Championship would certainly be at U13s for example.

Indeed, and then you get the more complex method of giving or not giving fouls in the name of game control
But to start with, I would keep it as simple as possible, looks like a foul, give it, and yes, make sure you give the same thing if it happens to the other team.
Even pick a random game online, turn sound down and go in head, oh, that looks like a foul. Will prob find it is

If a youngster specifically asks me if he can do up his boot laces during a stop in play ie throw in, corner etc then, during the first half, I'll normally comply. If it becomes too repetitive during the first half then at half time I'll make a point of going over to both sets of players and coaches and say something along the lines of "Okay guys, make sure you all check your laces properly now because I'm not stopping the game any more for loose laces - it's happening too much".

At least then I've made it clear.

My own personal take on it is that kids are molly-coddled enough these days without a referee feeling obliged to momentarily hold up a game of football because they're not capable of tying up a pair of boot laces themselves properly. It's billy basics. If you can't do it, then learn. There's 21 other players (plus a referee) involved in this match - it's not about you and your shoddy personal admin. ;) :cool:

If a youngster specifically asks me if he can do up his boot laces during a stop in play ie throw in, corner etc then, during the first half, I'll normally comply. If it becomes too repetitive during the first half then at half time I'll make a point of going over to both sets of players and coaches and say something along the lines of "Okay guys, make sure you all check your laces properly now because I'm not stopping the game any more for loose laces - it's happening too much".

At least then I've made it clear.

My own personal take on it is that kids are molly-coddled enough these days without a referee feeling obliged to momentarily hold up a game of football because they're not capable of tying up a pair of boot laces themselves properly. It's billy basics. If you can't do it, then learn. There's 21 other players (plus a referee) involved in this match - it's not about you and your shoddy personal admin. ;):cool:

At the ages we're talking about unlikely to be 21 others - shoddy admin!:p

At the ages we're talking about unlikely to be 21 others - shoddy admin!:p

Possibly.

My comment was a general one though which can be applied to any age group. If "little Johnny" isn't capable of tying up his boot laces properly and tightly enough so's they don't come undone every ten minutes then it's time he learned. If he's only 6/7/8 years old, then maybe it's time Mummy and Daddy learned to until such time as "little Johnny" is old enough and responsible enough.

Either way, it's shoddy admin on someone's part. ;) :p

When am touching on , stopping play, I certainly do not mean there and then with striker 10 yards from goal and someone at the half way goes "ref my boots"
Common sense, certainly when ball is dead, I would consider letting someone on, or, ideally, player going off !

you need to weigh up each situation that you find yourself in and establish the best course of action

Before U12 there is a lot more leeway with some aspects of the LOTG (stopping for laces, throw ins etc), so the children have been used to the world stopping and everyone waiting until they’ve tied their laces.

At U12, the first time I’m asked to hold up play for laces, I say “everybody check their laces, please. I won’t keep stopping for loose laces.” Loud enough for both teams and technical areas to hear. That usually sees 2 or 3 other players do up their laces, hopefully preventing further delays, but also lets the coaches know I won’t be stopping later in the match. Also seems to act as a bit of an ice breaker with the teams.

Never stopped a game at OA for laces but certainly did at the younger ages. Sometimes quicker to help too, can’t see a good argument for not helping in the learning process, may even help your club marks to rise hint hint!!

U12 is old for laces aggro. 6-7-8 OK... but 12... the kids know and certainly the coaches/parents know... so it may well be that you are being played if 12 year olds, especially from the same team, are asking to stop the game.

To expand the discussion, would anyone NEVER wait for a player to tie laces at say U15 and above inc women and oa?

If not done to waste time/tactical reasons - is there any reason to ignore such a request?

To expand the discussion, would anyone NEVER wait for a player to tie laces at say U15 and above inc women and oa?

If not done to waste time/tactical reasons - is there any reason to ignore such a request?
I would allow the player to leave the FOP to correct their equipment which is probably the more appropriate way to manage this situation but they would need to wait permission to return, which for laces I would allow without needing to check them.

I've already said (in a previous thread on this subject) that generally, at any age, if specifically requested during a temporary stoppage in play, I'll allow time for a player to do up their laces. I base this on the fact that if my laces were to come undone (which they never do by the way ;) :p ) I'd expect them to wait for me whilst I did them up. Common courtesy if you like. If it's becoming repetitive then my attitude is different (see post #8). :)

I
I've already said (in a previous thread on this subject) that generally, at any age, if specifically requested during a temporary stoppage in play, I'll allow time for a player to do up their laces. I base this on the fact that if my laces were to come undone (which they never do by the way ;):p ) I'd expect them to wait for me whilst I did them up. Common courtesy if you like. If it's becoming repetitive then my attitude is different (see post #8). :)
I'd expect one of the players to tie my shoe laces for me, whilst licking my boots clean as they're down there 😛
That's all the licking i'd tolerate however: C1 code UB
All perfectly acceptable during a short stoppage

I

I'd expect one of the players to tie my shoe laces for me, whilst licking my boots clean as they're down there 😛
That's all the licking i'd tolerate however: C1 code UB
All perfectly acceptable during a short stoppage

@Sheffields Finest used to do that all the time back in his day int' Yorkshire. ;)

They always refused to tuck his shirt in for him though .... :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
Back