A&H

Stopping play for injury

bloovee

RefChat Addict
In the EPL refs still seem reluctant to stop play for an injury other than head injury even when there's a lull in play (no immediate attack).

So one team kicks it out of play and we have the sporting ritual of a throw back to opponent's GK.

Lately I've seen EPL refs do what I would like to do (if not assessed): stop play, and (regardless of where the ball was) just drop it for the GK in his PA (one EPL ref basically threw it to the GK from outside the area).

I'd just change the law, so if the ref stops play, then so long as one team is clearly in possession, the ball is just given to that team's GK, and the restart is the GK having 6 seconds (enforced...) to get rid of the ball (kick out from the PA, or bring it out of the PA).

The Referee Store
That'll be fine until City are camped outside the opposition penalty area and an opposition defender goes down injured, the referee stops play and takes the ball back 90 metres to the City GK. You'll be screaming conspiracy once more.

Makes no difference at the moment. The ball would be back where it was within a minute.

Seriously, what would happen now? The defence would have the ball dropped for them unchallenged, and they'd boot it 90m back to the GK anyway. That's my point. It's going there so it might as well be with the GK ready for the restart.

With a dropped ball restart, both teams can compete irrespective of the reason for the stoppage. The referee has no influence. What you propose, takes that away in certain circumstances, situations that the referee decides.

I think you're confusing what the law says about the referee not deciding who may compete for a dropped ball, and what actually happens. But yes, of course I'm proposing taking an anachronistic situation out of the referee's hands - why would you want it? 22 players competing for a dropped ball with you in the middle of it?

But I think that's the point. And I think that's a point IFAB have doubled-down on with the recent law changes as well.

The drop ball exists purely to be a neutral restart as far as the ref is concerned, and it's then up to players if they want to allow their opponents to gain an advantage (ie. posession) from it. It's a good thing precisely for that reason. As soon as the drop ball is replaced with a restart where the referee decides that one team gains the advantage, the referee is then forced to make a decision regarding who should restart the ball, which then causes arguements and problems that simply don't exist right now.

What's the advantage of your proposal? One player's legs are slightly more rested because they don't have to kick a ball a long way? And the disadvantages? Well firstly, the referee simply has to run that 90m instead. And secondly, you're creating an argument if some players disagree with how the ref saw it. For such an incredibly minor benefit.

This is one of the situations where I think the NFHS (US High School) rule offers an interesting alternative to the IFAB law.

Their take on this is that, "if one team is clearly in possession of the ball, the game shall be restarted by an indirect free kick by the team in possession of the ball at the point where the ball was when play was suspended ..."

If neither team is clearly in possession of the ball, a 'regular' dropped ball results.

The referee doesn't have to run anywhere. He stops play for a player to be treated. The player in possession kicks the ball to his GK. There's no disagreement as he had possession. Advantage is not wasting time on a dropped ball or throw-in that goes back to the same GK.

The IFK option isn't bright. It could be an IFK in a goal-threatening situation.

Players cheat, that is the problem here. I had it myself several times at contrib level where a defender would go down holding his head in the area thinking it would break up a promising attack. Inevitably if I stopped play he'd spring back up like a gazelle, if I didn't stop play I'd be the worst referee ever. The referee can't win, and it is worse at PL level.

What I would do is if I stopped play I would immediately call on the trainer. The player would say he doesn't need it, but that's too late and he is going off. Caused lots of rows, but my little way of at least trying to clamp down on the blatant cheating, and justified in law even if bending it a little.

Back