A&H

Stopping Dissent before it gets worse?

banker123

Hi Guys,

We all have problems with dissent as that's just how it comes especially if we have to mouthy teams that think that they as individuals are the next Messi. I've been on the end of some very nasty comments in the past.

How do you guys deal with dissent in terms of nipping it in the bud before it becomes out of control? I seem to speak to players but it never seems to have an affect on the way their behaviour changes? I speak to captains many times during a game about players on their team with terms of dissent but never seems to work...

The Referee Store
Try this....ignore, ignore, ignore....run past him, blank him, everything to p1ss him off..... player then steps up the dissent as he thinks (knows) your ignoring him, bang him with a yellow card....but keep ignoring, they hate not having the attention.... he steps out of line again.. bye bye...

Hi Guys,

We all have problems with dissent as that's just how it comes especially if we have to mouthy teams that think that they as individuals are the next Messi. I've been on the end of some very nasty comments in the past.

How do you guys deal with dissent in terms of nipping it in the bud before it becomes out of control? I seem to speak to players but it never seems to have an affect on the way their behaviour changes? I speak to captains many times during a game about players on their team with terms of dissent but never seems to work...

Speak for yourself....I have very few problems with dissent, mainly because my reputation precedes me.
For the player who is new, they learn very quickly where my tolerance level is.

Set your stall out right from the start....if you’re really feeling generous warn them once, otherwise just get the cards out.....you’ve got them for a reason!

Try drawing a clear distinction between two types of comments. Those that are a) instinctive outbursts of frustration or b) said quietly in passing versus those that are more public and / or are made well after the incident occurs. The former should be more straightforward to either ignore or manage ... the latter need to be dealt with far more strongly, either with a caution or with a very public / strong word at a minimum

Reactions: one
Hi Guys,

Hi Guys,

hello i dont know if you are a fairly newly qualified ref, as other guys have advised, 1 a quick word in passing, 2 a very public bollocking, 3 easy yellow card

I seem to speak to players but it never seems to have an affect on the way their behaviour changes? I speak to captains many times during a game about players on their team with terms of dissent but never seems to work...

This makes it sound like you're wilting and letting them walk over you. Try and see it from the other point of view, if your team and the opposition are being rowdy and showing blatant dissent and the ref is being nice trying to have a word with everyone *and* the captain multiple times in a game, what would you think of the referee?

An easy mark you can tell to jog on cos he's not going to do anything is he?

You have a yellow card, and dissent is a booking. So use it, book 'em. You'll find 9 times out of 10 the entire team will pipe down and behave, and if they don't, then keep booking them, doesn't matter if they say you're ruining the game, they should behave in the first place.

Context matters of course, but in this scenario, be firm. You'll pick it up better with experience really, and you'll soon notice the difference. (That 1/10 game where they keep pushing you will be an educational lesson in game management for you mind, don't be disheartened when you encounter it.)

Its much harder for new referees to control dissent. but you will have to go through that process. Player who don't know about you, test you out to see how much they can get away with and they WILL push it to the limit and it is up to you where you set that limit. Referee's don't like (most of them anyway) giving too many cautions for dissent because that implies they are not good at man management. The problem with that is player take advantage of it. As said above, you can manage players with words up to an extent but you will have to take the card out after that. Otherwise you are not controlling the players, they are controlling you.

Back