A&H

STARTING AGAIN

redref1972

Level 7 Referee
Can anyone help me with this.I'm looking to get back into refereeing after a break of over3 years,I HAVE TO DO THE BASIC REF course again,CRB check and safeguard working with children.My problem is within the last 3 years I have a criminal conviction,NOTHING TO DO WITH KIDS,VIOLENCE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT but my stupidity meant I had to serve 4mths inside.The cost of refereeing has gone up so what I need to no before I pay for the course again is will a criminal conviction stop me from becoming a ref.My local fa cant give me a proper answer and the FA itself were a bit hazy in there reply

Thanks

A&H International
I don't know. But if you call the national fa and try to find out then that seems to be the only option. If it isn't anything to do with kids, violence or any sort of sexual assault then I think that you should be ok because for example there is no logic in stopping a person becoming a ref just because they have a record of fraud etc.

I quick google search lead me to an FA document regarding CRB/CRC's. The only issue arises if you conviction is to do with children, so from my understanding, you should be ok.

Once a conviction has been spent it can't be used to prevent gainful employment with obvious exceptions. Children and driving are the 2 that come to mind.

You may be asked for further detail but little more than you would for a standard job application.

I don't believe there is any requirement to do a crb/DBS if you referee adult matches. Even if there was an issue with you doing youth/child games, Adult games would be fine.

I don't believe there is any requirement to do a crb/DBS if you referee adult matches. Even if there was an issue with you doing youth/child games, Adult games would be fine.
It is now compulsory for all match officials to be in possession of a valid DBS. This is due to The FA realising that open age football is open to those 16+, not 18+.

It is now compulsory for all match officials to be in possession of a valid DBS. This is due to The FA realising that open age football is open to those 16+, not 18+.
I stand corrected. That has not filtered through to wales yet and will be a shocker for some refs when it does because the process in wales was long and painful to the admin around it.

you have to do the basic course again?

i took my course when i was 14, gave up when i was 16 and im 23 now, going back itno it this season ... after contacting the EssexFA referee secretary (James Lisher) he informed me that all i had to do was sit the FIFA Laws of the Game exam at my local RA meeting

you have to do the basic course again?

i took my course when i was 14, gave up when i was 16 and im 23 now, going back itno it this season ... after contacting the EssexFA referee secretary (James Lisher) he informed me that all i had to do was sit the FIFA Laws of the Game exam at my local RA meeting
You can merely resit the exam if your registration lapsed within the last two years. If it reaches 5 years, then you are supposed to re-sit the whole course as refereeing has changed so much in the intervening period.

Back