A&H

St Johnstone v Motherwell - rejected VAR review

CaptainsPlease

Level 5 and
Level 3W Referee
Incident is first clip in the video. Not sure why rejected, looks like a careless challenge to me.

Bonus clip from Ross County v Aberdeen (1:25)
On-field team awards a goal when it is both offside and also appears not to have fully crossed the line

A&H International
Incident is first clip in the video. Not sure why rejected, looks like a careless challenge to me.

Bonus clip from Ross County v Aberdeen (1:25)
On-field team awards a goal when it is both offside and also appears not to have fully crossed the line
First clip was a terrible review recommendation. Nowhere near a clear and obvious error on the foul call. You don't tell the referee to review for something that "looks like" a foul. And some question marks around in/out of area. Referee has every right to reject it.

Second one was a good use of VAR.

Suspect the VAR officials from the first game will be in for some extra training, no way they should have been recommending a review there.

Second VAR has done well, they've definitely disallowed it for offside though rather than ball not crossing the line as he raises his arm before the restart.

First clip was a terrible review recommendation. Nowhere near a clear and obvious error on the foul call. You don't tell the referee to review for something that "looks like" a foul. And some question marks around in/out of area. Referee has every right to reject it.
Yeah I understand probably not C&O but still surprised the foul wasn't given once the on field review has been initiated.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for the referee once you are on the monitor for the wrong reasons (or if in fact there is a protocol). I know if you find a yellow card from the review you have to give it. But what do do you do if you see something that looks like a mistake for a careless foul (not clear and obvious) on replay but you had a clear view of it live? Going with the original live call is not a bad idea.

Suspect the VAR officials from the first game will be in for some extra training, no way they should have been recommending a review there.

Second VAR has done well, they've definitely disallowed it for offside though rather than ball not crossing the line as he raises his arm before the restart.
Offside the easier sell as it’s easier to communicate I suppose. Would be interesting to see if they had overruled had it not been offside. Can’t believe they have VAR but not GLT.

Welcome to Scottish football :)
Joking aside though it’s good to see our officials stick to their guns after they’ve been sent over for a questionable review
Has the SPFL referee podcast started back up this season? That was always a good listen. Name escapes me, but was something like “blow your bloody whistle” or “up with play” etc

Edit: “Get Involved!”
Knew it was a phrase you hear each Saturday 😂

Has the SPFL referee podcast started back up this season? That was always a good listen. Name escapes me, but was something like “blow your bloody whistle” or “up with play” etc

Edit: “Get Involved!”
Knew it was a phrase you hear each Saturday 😂
Veering wildly off topic but some colleagues in Northampton run a reasonable podcast for your average listener called 'For Ref's Sake'. Worth a listen if you're bored. Season 3 first episode came out today - haven't listened yet.

Back