The Ref Stop

Spurs vs West Ham

WillH

Level 7 Referee
thank you Ally McCoist for proving to everyone today about how commentators know nothing about the rules of football. As blatant of a red card as youll ever see.

Also not sure why the ref needed to be sent to the monitor on this one, seemed pretty obvious

The Ref Stop
Which one? He committed three acts of VC in ten seconds?
Yeah, that is my take on why they absolutely should not have needed VAR to make the decision. I could understand if they'd missed one strike in the face, but Kudos gave them ample opportunity to spot at least one of his infractions.

Yeah, that is my take on why they absolutely should not have needed VAR to make the decision. I could understand if they'd missed one strike in the face, but Kudos gave them ample opportunity to spot at least one of his infractions.

And then Van de Ven gets the same punishment before VAR. Just a really bad look when it comes to not wanting to make a big decision. It's 4-1 and a player is giving you a red card on a platter. Just take it!

And then Van de Ven gets the same punishment before VAR. Just a really bad look when it comes to not wanting to make a big decision. It's 4-1 and a player is giving you a red card on a platter. Just take it!
To be fair to Madley I think he was too close, he was even clattered in the melee himself. But someone should have been in his ear, and I mean someone at the ground rather than VAR.

To be fair to Madley I think he was too close, he was even clattered in the melee himself. But someone should have been in his ear, and I mean someone at the ground rather than VAR.
I disagree. For me this is a clear case of relying on VAR to correct you.

The first incident, kicking the ball at Van de Ven, twice, and then (deliberately) kicking him in follow through, he had great distance, angle and view. It's SFP for me but if your are going on benefit of doubt, at least reckless. So fair enough if choosing yellow.

Second incident, strike to the face, yes he was close but a good distance of about 3m and that was a plus because he is looking directly at it. Bottling this is a big issue for me.

Third incident, his view was blocked which I don't have an issue him not seeing it but his position could have been better. Kudus was the trouble player and he should have not lost sight of him.

First incident
Screenshot_20241020-131825~3.jpg

Second incident in chronological order (note the timer on top left)

Screenshot_20241020-134611.jpg

Screenshot_20241020-135203.jpg

Screenshot_20241020-132015.jpg

Last edited:
Part of me is thinking Andy Madley may of been thinking like Ally McCoist in that it's 4-1, near the end of the game, give them both a yellow and let's get on with it but thank goodness VAR didn't see it that way.

Also an good example why in the threat of a confrontation you should keep an distance and observe or you could get knocked over yourself which almost happened.

Good use of VAR but it shouldn't of been needed here.

My complaint here is with the ARs. As far as I can tell, neither move to assist the R with controlling a 22-man mass-con and potentially identify the clear case of VC missed by the R.

I’ve said this before, but I think England has a really issue with referees being able to detect SFP and VC. I understand that historically we have maybe been more lenient than other countries for these matters, but I think it’s gone too far. I’d rather keep 11 v 11 on the pitch, but it always feels like they do their best to prevent them sending someone off. To the detriment of themselves

I’ve said this before, but I think England has a really issue with referees being able to detect SFP and VC. I understand that historically we have maybe been more lenient than other countries for these matters, but I think it’s gone too far. I’d rather keep 11 v 11 on the pitch, but it always feels like they do their best to prevent them sending someone off. To the detriment of themselves

I agree with SFP but not with VC especially as the latter happens quite rarely in the PL.

I just can't help but feel Andy Madley tried to manage the situation with minimal fuss and took the easy option seeing as the game was over in terms of the scoreline and there was probably only around 10 mins left of the match however VAR got involved and when shown the images got left with no choice but to change his mind.

Back