The Ref Stop

SPFL 2024-25 MW7

CaptainsPlease

Level 5 and
Level 3W Referee
This time I've only checked the Prem highlights but will probably look in other divisions from next week.

1: Kilmarnock v Dundee United (3:08) - goal disallowed after AR spots a foul, but with a long delay from when the foul takes place, then the goal is awarded following VAR review
This is an unusual application of delaying a no-goal decision as I'm not sure I have seen this for a foul (as opposed to offsides)
I think it is a clear and obvious error and VAR was correct to recommend the review

2: Kilmarnock v Dundee United (4:40) - penalty awarded
Looks justifiable, camera angles aren't great

3: Dundee v Aberdeen (2:23) - penalty awarded, defender DOGSO-cautioned
Should this have been a sending off? Seriously doubt that is an attempt to play or challenge for the ball. But not a clear and obvious error.

4: Rangers v Hibernian (1:50) - penalty awarded for handball following VAR review
Think this is justifiable as handball but not a clear and obvious error

5: St Johnstone v Celtic (0:16) - goal disallowed for foul off the ball following VAR review
Again I don't think this is a clear and obvious error, as the defender is running into the attacker

The Ref Stop
Only allowed 5 media per post so here's the other two

6: Rangers v Hibernian (0:33) - goal awarded after VAR overturns offside decision

7: St Johnstone v Celtic (4:51) - same!

One of the main challenges I suppose by just having the process to only identify clear and obvious errors is that at this level of football with the Referees being ‘elite’ is that there shouldn’t be many, should only be rare. Consequently, it may be felt that the money it costs VAR to operate is too much just to identify clear & obvious errors. Just a thought.

Back