A&H

Junior/Youth Spectator Problem

jertzee, there is no need for the "national" FA to do anything. The power to suspend a game is granted to a referee under the terms of Law 5 as TMITP has already mentioned. Suspension is something we often do when allowing for an injury to be assessed. Suspension is what we do while we wait for the only match ball available to be retrieved from the river at the end of the field.

You can use suspension as a means of delaying a restart until you are happy to proceed with the game.

Other points to things mentioned in other posts - you should not speak directly to a spectator. If you have any concerns about a spectator you speak to a club official of the home team as it is the home team who has a responsibility to look after spectator behaviour at games. It is the home team who will be charged by the County FA for spectator misconduct. It is therefore in their interests to help you when you have an issue.

The referee can ask for the removal of a spectator as it is a power I have used myself when a spectator said I should have a noose around my neck. Same thing happened when a spectator told me he hoped I died of AIDS, my wife died of AIDS and my kids died of AIDS. I suspended the game until the person went away.

The Referee Store
no, part of the deal of having the football at your ground is that you can send spectators/coaches/sent off players away from the field, but you can't do that on a public park, because it is just, a public place

My granddad always tells me the story of how he was refing a match one day (about 50 years ago) when a spectator got too angry over one of his decisions, he went to the secretary of the offending spectators club ( the home team) and said " If that man there doesn't keep his mouth shut I'll have to send him out of this field". The secretary said "You can't do that ref"
"Why not?"
"Because its his field" :p:p

you couldn't script that up any better

I offered this idea to the FA through their then Area Manager Janie Frampton about 10 years ago at a national FA Referee Instructor's seminar Staverton Park in Northamptonshire. So you never know!

Back