A&H

"Spastic"

Froominator

I've heard this term used a couple of times recently. Once I was unsure who had said it, so couldn't sanction. Next time I was on the the line and the referee clearly heard it and didn't sanction - One bench was particularly offended by the term but as AR I could do nothing further.

Last night, middling a U18 game and after a nothing foul on halfway the fouled player gets up, gives some verbal to the lad who fouled him and then shouted "YOU ****ING SPASTIC" at him. Instant red card from me.

Spoke to his manager afterwards and said that, for me, that term is about as offensive as it gets. The only thing worse would be a racist slur.

Just looking for thoughts really...

The Referee Store
A sending off offence, I agree. My only confusion is why as AR you could do nothing further? You could bring it to the attention of the Referee?

Yeap. I'm with you like others.

I take the opportunity to stress the importance of context. For example the word "gay" is one of those that is only offensive if used in a derogatory context. It is possible to use the same word in the opposite context.

On top of the standard red card, you'll need to do an extraordinary report, as it makes reference to disability.

I had the same last season, here's the report:
In the 38th minute of the fixture [name] used abusive language towards an opponent, calling them "a spastic". I was approximately 10 yards from the player and clearly heard the words used. I immediately stopped play, showed [name] the red card and sent him from the field of play.

Completely agree that this is offensive and requiring of a sending off.
Do all younger people (under 18s for example) know what this word means though? It's no longer used to describe someone in a medical sense, I think due to the word previously being used in a derogatory manner, so should it really require an additional extraordinary report?

Do all younger people (under 18s for example) know what this word means though? It's no longer used to describe someone in a medical sense, I think due to the word previously being used in a derogatory manner, so should it really require an additional extraordinary report?
As a referee, I'd rather not take the responsibility of making that call and risk getting it wrong and being dragged in for failing to report something I should have done.

Best practice is to write the extraordinary report, detail what you've heard and the CFA will either add the appropriate additional sanctions, or decide you're being over-sensitive and simply apply the usual punishment. Worst case scenario if you include that detail is it gets considered and dismissed. Worst case scenario for failing to include it is a suspension. Just write it down and let the FA make the difficult decisions.

As a referee, I'd rather not take the responsibility of making that call and risk getting it wrong and being dragged in for failing to report something I should have done.

Best practice is to write the extraordinary report, detail what you've heard and the CFA will either add the appropriate additional sanctions, or decide you're being over-sensitive and simply apply the usual punishment. Worst case scenario if you include that detail is it gets considered and dismissed. Worst case scenario for failing to include it is a suspension. Just write it down and let the FA make the difficult decisions.
Thanks Graeme

Eloquently put, and I completely accept and agree with your point.

It went into the report, so the CFA can now decide what action they want to take over and above the normal sanction for OFFINABUS RC.

I take it you mean into an extraordinary incident report as opposed to a comment in the standard red card report?

Well done! Definite red! I sent someone off for a homophobic slur (including subsequent extraordinary report after).

In modern society there is no place for language like this, therefore being on a football pitch is no different.

Referees need to be more consistent with sanctioning behaviour like this - wouldn’t take long for it to be out of the game then!!

I have learning difficulties so you don't know on the day if a player has it as well I'd say you had no choice but to send him for his early bath

Its still used in the medical world. spastic cerebral palsy is still a thing

Its still used in the medical world. spastic cerebral palsy is still a thing

You are right because it refers to the condition of spasticity, but in the general sense it has fallen out of use for the reasons above. The charity SCOPE for example was previously called The Spastics Society, but rebranded itself because of the perjorative connotations that became associated with it

Back