A&H

Spanish Women's League - Referees go on strike!

A&H International
Do men get equal opportunity to referee the top games on the women's game I. Spain? If they do get equal pay I suspect this may become more of an issue.

If WSL refs got EPL ref pay they would be earning more than many of the players.

I mean that's a fair point, but that's also kind of how negotiation works. If they asked for a reasonable increase from where they are, they'll be negotiated down to somewhere in between. If they ask for the same pay as the equivalent men's league, they might not get it but they'll probably be better off than if they start off demanding what seems "reasonable" to someone looking in.

A similar argument has been made for WSL referees to be full time, not so much by the officials but rather by clubs who have been on the wrong end of bad decisions. The simple fact is though, and I would guess it is the same in Spain, there just isn't the money to pay for it. The average attendance for the WSL last season was under 2,000, the average EPL attendance is close to 40,000. It may well have increased significantly due to the effect of the Euros, but still massively lower and the FA's goal is to get it to 6,000.

The WSL TV deal is worth £8 million per season, the EPL TV deal is worth more than £3 billion per season, then we have the vast difference between player salaries. I'm going back a few years, but WSL referees got £120 per game, EPL referees got over £1000 per game on top of their annual salary. I know the strike is Spain related and not the WSL, but the same principle surely applies, namely where do they expect the money to have parity is coming from?

A similar argument has been made for WSL referees to be full time, not so much by the officials but rather by clubs who have been on the wrong end of bad decisions. The simple fact is though, and I would guess it is the same in Spain, there just isn't the money to pay for it. The average attendance for the WSL last season was under 2,000, the average EPL attendance is close to 40,000. It may well have increased significantly due to the effect of the Euros, but still massively lower and the FA's goal is to get it to 6,000.

The WSL TV deal is worth £8 million per season, the EPL TV deal is worth more than £3 billion per season, then we have the vast difference between player salaries. I'm going back a few years, but WSL referees got £120 per game, EPL referees got over £1000 per game on top of their annual salary. I know the strike is Spain related and not the WSL, but the same principle surely applies, namely where do they expect the money to have parity is coming from?
This is something which is forgotten about across football entirely. Every year there’s a constant equal pay argument which from a equality perspective is definitely a conversation to be had but the key point which is forgotten about is the money generated from mens to womens football, and who is supposed to fund that. A good comparison is that Barcelona recently broke the transfer fee in womens football in a deal worth 400k, 219m less than they sold Neymar for.

The harsh reality is that trying to push for equal pay at this point in time would ultimately hinder the womens game. Matching finances in the mens game to the womens would result in millions of pounds worth of losses for a club per week and would either bankrupt clubs, or put them off having a womens team altogether

This is something which is forgotten about across football entirely. Every year there’s a constant equal pay argument which from a equality perspective is definitely a conversation to be had but the key point which is forgotten about is the money generated from mens to womens football, and who is supposed to fund that. A good comparison is that Barcelona recently broke the transfer fee in womens football in a deal worth 400k, 219m less than they sold Neymar for.

The harsh reality is that trying to push for equal pay at this point in time would ultimately hinder the womens game. Matching finances in the mens game to the womens would result in millions of pounds worth of losses for a club per week and would either bankrupt clubs, or put them off having a womens team altogether
Money talks. End of story.

Try putting together a men's netball team and see what funding becomes available ... ;)

"The defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors" Henry Becque. :cool:

Back