A&H

Southampton v Arsenal

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Not had much coverage as it didn't matter in the end, but Long's 'goal' ruled out for offside?

Header from Soton player saved (Long in an offside pos when header won), however save didn't fall straight to Long, it went back away from goal and then an outstretched Arsenal leg sent the ball back to Long - hope I've explained that OK, but is that still offside - ie a double touch to Long - not a single rebound?

Thanks

The Referee Store
Was the defender's play deliberate, or was it an accidental touch as he's stepping backward?

Some things to consider/think about when making this decision:
  • What is the defender looking at the whole time during this play?
  • What kind of distance does that ball come from, and how fast does it come off of the GK?
  • Is the defender kicking at the ball, or stepping backward for balance?

Trying to remember it, but didn't the defender stop the header going in? If so there is every argument to say that qualifies as a save.

Trying to remember it, but didn't the defender stop the header going in? If so there is every argument to say that qualifies as a save.

No, not that one Rusty, GK saved and ball came out, 'hit' Arsenal defender (difficult to see if a deliberate touch, but it was a touch) and then went to Long.

In summary my question is, is Long still 'gaining an advantage' if there are two touches by the defending team, as there was here,or is/should the offside be 'reset' by the GK save, which didn't go to Long.

In summary my question is, is Long still 'gaining an advantage' if there are two touches by the defending team
Yes, if neither of those touches were deliberate plays of the ball. The deliberate save by the keeper definitely doesn't 'reset' offside (as @AlexF points out) so the question is over the subsequent touch by a defender. Was this touch a deliberate play or was it a deflection/rebound?

I've watched it a few times and I'm still not 100% sure but if you accept that it was not a deliberate play, then the offside still stands.

Yes, if neither of those touches were deliberate plays of the ball. The deliberate save by the keeper definitely doesn't 'reset' offside (as @AlexF points out) so the question is over the subsequent touch by a defender. Was this touch a deliberate play or was it a deflection/rebound?

I've watched it a few times and I'm still not 100% sure but if you accept that it was not a deliberate play, then the offside still stands.

Thanks Peter & Alex

Back