A&H

soon to be a level 7

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
so I am turning 16 on the 27th of January and therefore becoming a level 7, I am having a meeting with my appointments officer after Christmas but I was jus wondering if there is any advice anyone could offer me from the big step from youth to adult football please?

A&H International
Be confident and not ****y. Look like you're confident even if inside you feel like you're falling apart. My approach at first was to be strict with the players and get yourself known as a strict ref, your name will go around and before you know it players won't mess you around. Also stamp out ANY dissent, this will aid your control and players will start to show you more respect.
That's what I've done and I'm reasonably well known and clubs don't mess me around now as much, I still the occasional problem with dissent but nothing serious. Don't forget to tell us how you're first open age match goes and good luck in senior football.

Just enjoy yourself. It's a game of football at the end of the day just like it was when you did youth games, a big smile goes a long way.

Thanks supermonkey :)) im going into county head quarters in the morning to speak to my appointments officer to discuss it

Most often adult games are more relaxed than junior ones (less hormones are flying about) just be firm from the start but have a smile on your face and it will rub off on the players. And finally don't worry if you are there 20 mins before KO and no body is there, they like to turn up 5 mins before the match, put the nets up, quick jog, one last fag then KO.

Just have fun and treat it as you would any other match. Good luck.

spoken to the appointments officer and I have my first appointment, for the first of February :)

Thanks guys, I feel prepared, i have had everything gone through including misconduct, its now time to get back to fitness and just wait for the game to come round

Back