A&H

Slowing the game down - law 18 - pls add to list

Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I abandoned a game last week - mass confrontation that went on and involved too many people on and off the pitch - I hate doing it but an easy call ...

After the game I spoke with 2-3 other referees and we talked about possible things I could have done differently ... we got down to thinking what we as Refs / Asst Refs could do to slow the game down and try take the heat out of the game - including some that are perhaps a little immoral ... the list is obviously over and above any 'normal' (stepped) approach and falls completely under Law 18 :)

I've put 3 below - please can you share your thoughts - thank you

1. Drop pen / pencil at substitutes (to make the process take longer)
2. Milk any injuries in the game - make sure the trainer does come on
3. Find a 'pretend' hole in the net that needs fixing

The Referee Store
Shoe laces need tying?? Both of them...:)

I don't think that trying to slow a game down is immoral - all the referee is trying to do is prevent a mass confrontation and make sure that the game does not have to be abandoned. Completely moral to me. Would only be immoral if a referee did it for other reasons eg wanted to 'waste time' as tired and couldn't be bothered to have to make proper decisions (rubbish example but you see what I mean!)

Easy way to take heat out of the game is to call every little foul you see for a period of time. Normally, you see a small foul (small tug of the shirt, slight trip etc), you wait a few moments to see whether it has affected the player and if he can regain and continue on. In a situation where the game is getting too heated and you feel you need to slow it down, call every foul, straight away. Don't play advantages (unless it is going to lead directly to a goal). Once the heat is taken out of the game, can go back to normal.

Reactions: SM
Easy way to take heat out of the game is to call every little foul you see for a period of time. Normally, you see a small foul (small tug of the shirt, slight trip etc), you wait a few moments to see whether it has affected the player and if he can regain and continue on. In a situation where the game is getting too heated and you feel you need to slow it down, call every foul, straight away. Don't play advantages (unless it is going to lead directly to a goal). Once the heat is taken out of the game, can go back to normal.
I do this too - but thought you were looking for more unusual things if you like.

On Saturday, I had 1st v 2nd, and the game was quite tense when one team got back in it. 2 players were name calling etc, saying 'say that to my face' so I pulled them both in, and spent about 40 seconds talking to them. I took about 5 times more than needed, but took the heat right out of the game.

Agree with grug and jojo - if the game is heading out of control, whistle for everything no matter how petty and go stand over the ball to stop the team from restarting play quickly, perhaps have more chats after fouls about what is acceptable. If that isn't working then lower your tolerance to what is reckless and if a players earns the caution, take your sweet time dishing out the lemon. Once you sense the teams get the message and have calmed, slacken off again.

Simple things like preventing quick free kicks seem to work. Also taking time over a caution or if not a cautionable offence then give players lectures, and, as @Alex71 says, prolonging the substitution procedure.

I didn't think we had the authority to stop a quick free kick unless we were carding someone or there's a player receiving attention. Granted they are a potential flashpoint, but Laws is Laws........

Other methods, talking to the captains together, "Let's try and calm everyone down eh lads?"

Schools u18, friendly.

'Right lads, i know it's a friendly today but obviously it'll be competitive. So let's keep it competitive and friendly and then I can enjoy it too and keep my cards in my pocket'

.... Three yellow cards later......:(

Looking on the bright side, they were all for the same team :)

I didn't think we had the authority to stop a quick free kick unless we were carding someone or there's a player receiving attention. Granted they are a potential flashpoint, but Laws is Laws........
You do if you want to speak to a player. Even if you wouldn't normally in a particular situation.

Other methods, talking to the captains together, "Let's try and calm everyone down eh lads?"
Law 5 allows the referee to suspend a game, which is exactly what he does when he brings a player in for a chat. Likewise, if he decides he wants to make every free kick a ceremonial one where he stands on the ball, slows things down and blows his whistle, he is using the same power.

as a slight aside, i find there are times when it is more beneficial to have a quick word with a player as you're passing, rather than making a big show of calling him over. especially when you don't want to interrupt the flow of a game. the problem with calling a player over for a ceremonial chat is that everyone has then seen you giving him a lecture and will expect a card to follow next time, whereas a quiet word in the ear as you're repositioning can allow you to communicate with a bit more empathy.

Road block theory.

Free kick
Quiet word
Public warning
Caution

Once you've publicly warned the player, you're not meant to do it again, but theres nothing wrong with having quiet words after the public warning.

as a slight aside, i find there are times when it is more beneficial to have a quick word with a player as you're passing, rather than making a big show of calling him over. especially when you don't want to interrupt the flow of a game. the problem with calling a player over for a ceremonial chat is that everyone has then seen you giving him a lecture and will expect a card to follow next time, whereas a quiet word in the ear as you're repositioning can allow you to communicate with a bit more empathy.
Yes but we are talking about tactics to slow down the game

How about taking an opportunity to talk to a player about some aspect of something? For example, if the temperature is rising, at a stoppage in the game, find a player you've had a good relationship with either so far that match or in past matches, you call him over and say "Look, I need you to calm your boys down. I'm talking to you right now because I need to slow this game up a bit and let everyone have a breather. You haven't done anything personally, but I need your help or else we're going to start seeing bookings fly." That might work for you and it doesn't make you look like a complete bungler.

For what it's worth: don't drop your pencil, or you owe your team a pint each.

Back