A&H

Six Red Cards one youth Match

A

AndyW

Found this on yahoo news today made me giggle !

Six sent off following underpants row

Tue Sep 27 04:14PM

A youth game descended into farce after Bath City's youth team had five players and their manager sent off following a row about underpants.
Darren Adie, refereeing the contest against Newport County, contentiously ruled that some of the Bath team's underwear contravened the official rules.
The FA's rule 4 says "if thermal undershorts are worn, they are of the same main colour as the shorts."
Several players fell foul of the ruling, wearing white pants which were visible under the club's red shorts.
That said, the match was 20 minutes old before the issue came to a head.
Defender Billy Cooper was sent off first, with manager Billy Clark following for dissent at the decision, before Ciaran Rogers, Zemell Burton, Ben Bicknell and Lewis Pierre all saw red.
Despite that, the Bath Chronicle report that Bath City believe that even after the red cards, there were still players on the pitch on both sides who were technically in breach of the rules but remained on the pitch throughout.
Unsurprisingly, Bath City went on to lose the Youth Cup tie 6-0, with the first goal scored while two of their players were off the field, changing.
Bath City chairman Manda Rigby described the parents who saw the game as "distressed and angry," and said that referee Adie had locked himself in his room after the game.
‘"It was farcical - I have never seen anything like it before," she said.
‘"I was in total disbelief."
Bath managing director Paul Williams added: "It was all very surreal. I was angry with the officials.
"Every team has to submit a report about the officials to the FA. Let's just say ours is a very long report."
A spokesman for the FA said it was looking into the incident together with the Welsh FA, who supplied the match officials.
Newport County secretary Mike Everett, meanwhile, said he would not be making a similar complaint about the standard of refereeing.
"I understand that the initial problem was regarding incorrect undergarments," he said. "The referee made his decisions. There's not a lot I can add."

The Referee Store
Is it just me or has the referee made a balls up here as the law states "if thermal undershorts are worn, they are of the same main colour as the shorts."

Depending on the age of the kids I'd let it go. I mean you dont want a bunch of little kids freezing if the weather is bad.

Don't read too much into what the press has to say. Know the ref (not on a personnal basis but he goes to our meetings), and I think that the press have 'spiced' it up a bit.

I will make no further comments, as it would make me feel unconfortable :cool:

Agreed if he was going to act on it this should have been done when he checks boots,jewellry

unless of course he couldnt see it until the game started. Although thats pretty unlikely.

Again I was told at youth level you tend to let a few things go rather than being super strict.

"Pretty unlikely" "done it when checks boot and jewllery" etc a bit wide of the mark. It is not unheard of for people to roll up undershorts so that they are not visible when the inspection is done, or to say "Nothing underneath." It happens, and more often that people might think.

As for being forced to change by the side of the pitch I find this hard to believe. I can see the referee saying "You have to leave the field to change them" but this does not necessarily mean change on the touchline. The ground has dressing rooms and a tunnel - perfectly feasible place to change and they're off the field.

I certainly wouldnt be telling kids to get their shorts off on the side of the pitch. I cant see any good coming if little Timmy goes home and tells his mum that the nasty referee asked him to take his shorts and under shorts off on the side of the pitch today! I can smell the petrol bomb his dad will have for my house already! lol

I think its a perfect time to check for kit when they show boots and jewellry does that mean you do a kit inspection and then a boot check at a different time ?

Can I just point out, before we get a bit off tangent, its youth, not kids... From what I was told, it was either U19 or U21, so old enough to know what the law requires...

Just putting it out there :D

Back