A&H

Sin Bin

Should sin bins be introduced?

• Total voters
The Referee Store
I think that they could work because at the moment there are too many cautions in one game, if they turned to sin bins I am sure that there would be a lot less and a lot less dissent towards us

I don't know TBH.

I think, at the level most of us are refereeing it would be impossible to manage with CARs. Imagine, twenty minutes to go, and two or three players are all in various stages of 'sin-bin'.

You would need at least one appointed official to manage the bins with timings etc.

In principle I think it could be good for the game at higher levels that usually get three or four officials appointed, but a nightmare at our level. Although I'm not convinced it would reduce the dissent, as players will soon realise 'Hey, it's only ten minutes sitting down, not a YC and fine!'

At our level, with a team 4-0 up, it might be worth gobbing off at the ref or putty in a couple of moody tackles just to get a ten minute breather. For dissent, I would prefer to see a move similar to rugby whereby a dissenting player gets a DFK against his team, the ball is moved ten yards closer to the goal and they still get a yellow.:mad:

what would you do if the 10 yards took the free kick into the penalty area, idfk or pen?

10 yards doesn't really matter in football as much as rugby (where territory matters more) - possession of the ball - wherever on the pitch matters for us ... and as Haywain points out - it doesn't work inside the Penalty Area ...

I think we'd see more offences - I think 10 mins on the touchline would be seen as a bit of a laugh and favourable over a £12 fine

My biggest concern is the point made by Matty above ... I booked 8 in a game before Xmas - no NARs - I'd now have to manage when they are allowed to come back on the pitch - ahhhhhhhhhhhh !!

In a friendly game once I made someone do 5 laps of the pitch to cool down and then let him back on the pitch :)

lovin' the laps of the pitch, alex - i hope that you didn't infringe his or her human rights :)

reminds me of a story, possibly apocryphal, about an oversold flight in Nigeria where the passengers were made to run around the plane to decide who got on and who got bumped

They did used to move the ball ten yards forward, but the takers complained because it made it harder for them to shoot and get the ball up and down quick enough. I remember seeing Beckham getting upset because he had a FK moved forward and wanted the ref to leave it where it was - but ref wouldn't let him.

I'm with @Grayson

Bugger managing this, it was bad enough at a 5 a side league let alone an 11 a side match

Your definitely right that you'd need an extra official to manage it, and when most games don't even get NARs I find this very unlikely and unfeasible.

On a funnier note, Michael McIntyre on referees and sin bins:

Back