A&H

Sin Bin - Devils Avocado!

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Morning all,

So, I just want to clarify a few things and ask some opinions for the “clerical” side of things.

As it states in the LOTG/SinBin guidance: “…Any player who commits another caution or sending off offence whilst in the Sin Bin will take no further part in the game and cannot be substituted”

This is pretty self explanatory, however it isn’t clear how this is actioned:
  • I guess you show the card as normal
  • How do you indicate that they cannot return to the pitch - guessing most footballers won’t know the nuances of the LOTG
  • If it is an additional caution, is this reported in an extraordinary report to explain that they were not permitted to return to the game?
I’m aware this is quite a rare occurrence as usually players will usher someone off who has been C2’d and ‘shhhh’ them! However, would be interested to hear thoughts.

A&H International
  • How do you indicate that they cannot return to the pitch - guessing most footballers won’t know the nuances of the LOTG
I'd just go over and explain to the manager.

• If it is an additional caution, is this reported in an extraordinary report to explain that they were not permitted to return to the game?
As far as I'm aware, you would only need to report the two cautions.

Yeah, you just have to explain it unfortunately.

Don't show a red card - for whatever reason, the lawmakers have decided that the universal symbol for "you are done for the day and cannot be replaced" is not appropriate for this specific situation where a player is done for the day and cannot be replaced....

Yeah, you just have to explain it unfortunately.

Don't show a red card - for whatever reason, the lawmakers have decided that the universal symbol for "you are done for the day and cannot be replaced" is not appropriate for this specific situation where a player is done for the day and cannot be replaced....
Imagine a scenario where you give a player a 2nd sin bin after his mate has been sent off.
Player 1 sent off. Player 2 takes no further part and cannot be substituted!
Difference? One has to leave the immediate vicinity of the pitch, the other does not and is free to carry on misconducting themselves.

Imagine a scenario where you give a player a 2nd sin bin after his mate has been sent off.
Player 1 sent off. Player 2 takes no further part and cannot be substituted!
Difference? One has to leave the immediate vicinity of the pitch, the other does not and is free to carry on misconducting themselves.
Which is a bad idea in and of itself. The player who is off for dissent and then can't behave even with that clear warning gets to hang around? Nah - fix that, get him away from the pitch as well and then the difference is gone and you can show red anyway.

Even without that, I'd suggest the other way round would work better. Current situation is you're essentially dismissing a player and the way to communicate that is to put yourself in a conversation with the manager where you have to tell him his team is a man down. Or switch it, show a red and then go to the manager and explain that he doesn't need to leave the vicinity. The latter is an easier sell and it doesn't really matter if you don't subject yourself to it - the former is a unpleasant sell that you are obliged to discuss.

Just for clarity.. if they commit a sending off offence whilst in the sin bin, do they still get shown a red card and asked to leave the vicinity?
If so, wording seems a little unclear by specifically stating "taking no further part in the game", rather than relying on the rules for sending-off offences in Rule 12.

Just for clarity.. if they commit a sending off offence whilst in the sin bin, do they still get shown a red card and asked to leave the vicinity?
If so, wording seems a little unclear by specifically stating "taking no further part in the game", rather than relying on the rules for sending-off offences in Rule 12.
Correct. A red card offence is still that and all the various rules around that apply.

Correct. A red card offence is still that and all the various rules around that apply.
Hopefully they will modify the wording of this in the future!!
Would love to see the SB in the professional game.

Back