A&H

Should I affiliate myself with a team ??

Ben Towns

Just wondering as a new referee is it better to affiliate myself with a club or to find games myself at different clubs . Just looking for a little bit of advice . Thank you .

A&H International
It depends what works for you. I would recommend finding a few leagues near where you live and contact the referee’s secretaries and they can assign games to you each week or whenever you are available as oppose to only refereeing one team.

It will not only stop any awkward and difficult future encounters if the one club you referee decide they didn’t like your decisions on previous weeks but it will further improve your development tenfold to have a variety of clubs and leagues.

It depends what works for you. I would recommend finding a few leagues near where you live and contact the referee’s secretaries and they can assign games to you each week or whenever you are available as oppose to only refereeing one team.

It will not only stop any awkward and difficult future encounters if the one club you referee decide they didn’t like your decisions on previous weeks but it will further improve your development tenfold to have a variety of clubs and leagues.
I've been in situations where I stuck with a club (2 actually, as most of the time they played alternate weeks at home due to sharing home pitch). Came to a sticky problem when I done a cup final between the same two sides (u13) and I declined a penalty (team was 3-0 up at time too) and then went on to lose the game 4-3. They blamed me and never asked me again.
I then attached myself to another club, but done various age groups, but again familiarity kind of makes it difficult as sometimes you don't want to annoy the team(s) so that you're guaranteed a future game, if that makes sense.
Eventually, I gave my number to various teams and they'd text/call to see if I were available and if I were id accept on first come basis. They were all aware of that and it worked, for me. Helped there was lack of referees I suppose.

When I first started refereeing in that town, the league appointed referees. Over the next few years it changed to clubs doing it. Shame I think because the league I am in now I rarely see the same team twice in about 5-6 weeks and I think it works perfectly.

If you're in an area that has leagues that appoint as priority then take it. I would.

Many clubs around me operate their own referee “pools” who are appointed to games under the club structure within their respective leagues. And many of these have a referee coaching structure or proper mentors in place too.

They work hand in hand with the youth leagues here, so it can be a good option to get started.

I’ve looked and you’re a long way from me, so I can’t suggest any that I work with, but the critical thing is you don’t need to affiliate with the club per se. If you work with them just let appointing officers know you’re in said club’s pool.

Do both (if you like).

I am in a few of the local academy Whatsapps and I have been texted by a club or two trying to get a last minute referee.

Back