A&H

Shot stopped on the line

SM

The avuncular one
Game on the weekend.

Red attack and are breaking quickly into opponent penalty area. I am on the edge of the penalty area and see a shot blocked before a second shot comes in with a lot of power. Its about groin height to a standing man. A defender had been attempting to slide out to close down the shot and of course it hits him head high. His arm is by his head, which given his movement I would say was not an unnatural position

I have a clear view, but It happens so quickly that I cannot tell for sure if it's hand or head that stops the ball. The shot was fierce and from 5 or 6 yards straight at him.

Reds want a penalty. I am not sure exactly what has been hit. Ball cleared for a corner.

No NARs to check with. I am not at all sure if it is handball but suspect it has hit the hand in front of his face. I am aware that if I give it, it's DOGSO also. There is also the distance between the guy shooting and the defender which was very small.

Home team winged a little at the time but accept my explanation at half time without any problem (assistant manager asked very politely).

Thoughts.

The Referee Store
You had a D3WL game didn't you Sat? I think I've seen the match report

I'm not sure, I think I saw your name mentioned somewhere but didn't know if it was your namesake

UEFA put out a video on one of their RAP DVDs recently (last year perhaps?) which had a situation very similar to yours where the defender slid and the ball hit his arm on the ground side of him from a close distance and it was deemed to not be deliberate handling in that case.

Take that as you will.

I'm having a hard time working out why his hand was by his head for a slide tackle?

Regardless, you werent sure if it hit his hand or arm - so no foul.

Back