A&H

Short added times

The Referee Store
I felt we were being shortchanged for game time after watching the first few games in the world cup. It looks like I was right and according to this article it averages 6 minutes per game.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/world-cup-stoppage-time-is-wildly-inaccurate/
Although the study maybe overestimating actual and expected stoppage time, it does highlight the difficulties encountered with the 'minimal interference' pledge of VAR. I've no doubt the officials have routinely added insufficient time and this has masked the disruptive effect of VAR in terms of 'ball-in-play' minutes

Was listening to Howard Webb recently saying he's in favour of a 60 minute match that only counts down whilst the ball is in play. With those numbers, I'm all for it. Makes the game much fairer and removes time-wasting almost completely (except breaking the flow of the game).

I dunno, I'm not a fan of the stopclock method. God knows, I'd be awful at timekeeping for that.

But also, I think it misses a fundamental purpose in football; When the ball is out of play, nothing actually says that is 'dead time', I mean, the Laws prohibit excessive delays and time wasting, but in my eyes the ball in or out of play is still game time, it's still fair do. I don't know where the recent (for me) issue of there being consideration about the time being linked to the ball in play has come from.

Always a gut feeling on how much time I wanted to add. Depended on my mood and how certain teams had behaved. Always good to see a moany winning team hang on for just that little bit longer than they were expecting! Lose the battle, win the war and all that!!

I dunno, I'm not a fan of the stopclock method. God knows, I'd be awful at timekeeping for that.

But also, I think it misses a fundamental purpose in football; When the ball is out of play, nothing actually says that is 'dead time', I mean, the Laws prohibit excessive delays and time wasting, but in my eyes the ball in or out of play is still game time, it's still fair do. I don't know where the recent (for me) issue of there being consideration about the time being linked to the ball in play has come from.
There was a report produced, might have even been media, that suggested fans were being short changed with the amount of time the game was in play due to what was perceived to be time wasting. E.g. lost seconds from walking to take a corner, or retrieve the ball.

Article from BBC highlighting the "problem"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40993250

It is probably less of a problem at grassroots

I think a stopclock would make more sense.

The way it currently works: time ticks down all the time, but during that there are stoppages that we should add on to the end so that we haven't lost too much time, yet we always get the stoppages wrong (in some cases wildly wrong) because each referee has a different system for added time.

The way it could work: time ticks down when the ball is in play.

Simplicity.

In Futsal the laws say it runs on a stop clock but only the top tiers in any country and international games are played with stop clock. The problem with stop clock is that you need a dedicated timekeeper. That's an extra resource that lower levels of the game don't have. Some games do well to get a referee, let alone a timekeeper.

Reactions: JH
Back