A&H

Shirt over face after scoring

The Referee Store
pg 124 of 2014/15 LotG:
"he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt."

And yes, unsporting behaviour.

OP says "face" - You quote "head".

The head is different to, but wholly inclusive of, the face. Or are we saying "covers (part of) his head ......" at which point does "part of" become enough to be deemed as "all of"?

Nose,ears, or whole of the face? What iof he covers the whole of the rear of his head - same size area as the front.

So by your own quote, you are contradiciting the Laws.

Or was he emphatically wiping away sweat. Mr Barry - please clarify....

OP says "face" - You quote "head".

The head is different to, but wholly inclusive of, the face. Or are we saying "covers (part of) his head ......" at which point does "part of" become enough to be deemed as "all of"?

Nose,ears, or whole of the face? What iof he covers the whole of the rear of his head - same size area as the front.

So by your own quote, you are contradiciting the Laws.

Or was he emphatically wiping away sweat. Mr Barry - please clarify....

Seems as if you're just clutching at straws there - OP obviously means in celebration after a goal, in which case a yellow for USB would be justified. 'Face' counts as 'head', in my view.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why shirt over face / head merits a caution.....I'm going for health and safety ;)

Oh man I read the title too quickly, was expecting a whole different discussion here

Ravanelli style? Caution. Quick up and down - don't go looking for trouble.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why shirt over face / head merits a caution.....I'm going for health and safety ;)
Could be urban myth, but I think it's because football is viewed as a global game and the LOTG are designed to be inclusive of everyone who plays without amendment or special clauses. In many cultures around the world, the shirt over the head, displaying bare skin and various other celebrations would be deemed offensive and insulting. Remember, we're also talking men and women where, too. There's also the political/commercial statements which may cause offensive. Therefore, in order to avoid this, the LOTG can be bland, unfunny and conservative in places.

Never been in a situation where it has happened when I have reffed but I never understood why lifting it up to your face quickly, even Ravanelli style , is a yellow when players throughout a match,including me as a player, often bring the shirt up to wipe my face, revealing skin and hiding the face.

Never been in a situation where it has happened when I have reffed but I never understood why lifting it up to your face quickly, even Ravanelli style , is a yellow when players throughout a match,including me as a player, often bring the shirt up to wipe my face, revealing skin and hiding the face.
What part of a game is going to get a shirt-sponsor the most "close up" coverage, whether that be on TV or photographs in the press afterwards? My view is that is why it is an offence to do this as part of a celebration, but not at other times.

I guess to answer why pulling the shirt over your face is a yellow card we need to first answer why players pull the shirt over their face when celebrating a goal?

Mini-soccer they would have a free pass, you start playing with the "big boys" at U11, you're in the book. Just imagine, you're doing the final of a league or county cup, and you fail to book a "technical offence" such as this. The same player later in the game commits another bookable offence, for which you do book him. He then goes on to score later on, when he shouldn't have been on the pitch. And yes, if you do it over the rec on a wet Saturday morning, the manager, coaches and parents will all moan at you - but is it your fault that the coaches don't teach their players the laws? I've never had to do it, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the players will be asking you to book him in the same way at that age group some of the lads are pushing for cards for kicking the ball away; and yes, I have booked for that at U11 (very, very blatant).

Back