A&H

Shielding he ball out for a goal kick

SM

The avuncular one
I found a weak spot in my refereeing last night. The defender shielding the ball out for a goal kick whilst being pressured by an attacker.

Typical scenario, long badly placed pass for the attacker to chase down, defender with his arms in that odd down, behind and slightly out, position. Attacker then jockeying to get to the ball.

I know the law around it - the most important being that the ball must be within playing distance of the defender. But for some reason these have a tendency to end up ugly looking. I was on top of them yesterday (making my immediate presence in the vicinity know so there was no stupid afters) so none of the instances ended up in anything more than the award of a corner or goal kick, just not sure if I allow too much jockeying.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
I'd say just let them do it unless it becomes farcical because the players will soon learn your tolerance levels.

Hate it personally. I'd quite happily allow the striker to wipe out the defender but obviously can't let that happen.
As a rule of thumb I'm pretty much ok with upper body contact in this scenario but as soon as the striker gets his feet involved then blow for the FK. Obviously upper body contact has its limits too. Push, pull, punch!!

Defender doing nothing wrong as long as ball is within playing distance (roughly two steps?) so attacker tackling and fouling, or using upper body to 'occupy the space that the defender is in' is a free kick.

Back