A&H

Second phase of play?

doncastro

This example came up in my local game at the weekend. Is this offside?

Shots played outside the box and the attackers teammate is offside from out of picture, but not active (he squared the ball to the shooter from the byline). The keeper parries the ball from the shot and it lands at the defenders feet, defender steady's to control it, prepares to hoof it away but the byline attacker (who was originally offside from the shot) comes in and nicks it off his foot and into the net.

Also second question. In my determination the defender controlled the ball from the parried shot and tried to play it. Would it matter if this wasn't the case? Like if the shot is parried from the goalkeeper to the defender and it hits off his backside, or just hits off his foot, then the attacker nips in to score. TIA

The Referee Store

Shots played outside the box and the attackers teammate is offside from out of picture, but not active (he squared the ball to the shooter from the byline). The keeper parries the ball from the shot and it lands at the defenders feet, defender steady's to control it, prepares to hoof it away but the byline attacker (who was originally offside from the shot) comes in and nicks it off his foot and into the net.
If the defender has deliberately played the ball, then the attacking player is "not considered to have gained an advantage" from being in an offside position, and therefore not committed an offside offence.
However if the attacker received the ball straight from the save or if the defender's action is considered a save per the definition in Law 11, then this is gaining an advantage and is offside.

Also second question. In my determination the defender controlled the ball from the parried shot and tried to play it. Would it matter if this wasn't the case? Like if the shot is parried from the goalkeeper to the defender and it hits off his backside, or just hits off his foot, then the attacker nips in to score. TIA
If the defender has not deliberately played the ball, such as having it saved into them by a teammate, then this is also gaining an advantage and therefore an offside offence.

By the keeper parrying the shot, I assume you mean a save and not a controlled pass. That does not reset OS as a save never resets OS. So the Q is the defender to whom it bounces. You say he "steady's to control it"; if by that you mean he deliberately trapped the ball or otherwise deliberately acted on the ball, that is enough to reset OS. (The interpretation on this broadened a few years ago,making more actions by defenders enough to end OS restrictions.)

As to the second part, the OS law distinguishes between a deliberate play (which ends OS restrictions) and a deflection (which does not end the restrictions). So bouncing off the back of a defender would not wipe the OS restrictions--unless the defender deliberately moved into the ball.

Thanks guys for the informed responses. I would say it was incorrectly ruled offside then.

Calamitously the referee gave the goal initially then went to consult the linesman after complaints from the defending team. After this consultation with the linesman for 2-3 mins (who was a substitute for the defending team and who initially after the goal was scored buried his head in his hands) he's change the decision and given a free kick for offside. That's Sunday league for you....

Strange that no one had asked you if the 'byline' attacking player was on or off the FOP when the shot was taken?

Strange that no one had asked you if the 'byline' attacking player was on or off the FOP when the shot was taken?

Even if he was off the pitch (presuming his momentum carried him off) isn't he deemed to be on the byline for the purpose of offside ?

Even if he was off the pitch (presuming his momentum carried him off) isn't he deemed to be on the byline for the purpose of offside ?
That's what I was going to say - people probably didn't mention it because it would make no difference. He's on the end line either way.

I am unaware of this deeming provision. Could you point me to it?
Law 11.4:
A defending player who leaves the field of play without the referee’s permission shall be considered to be on the goal line or touchline for the purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play or until the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area. If the player left the field of play deliberately, the player must be cautioned when the ball is next out of play

Back