A&H

Sea vs Ci / lottery of handball

one

RefChat Addict
Screenshot_20240819-103957~2.jpg

This would have been handball 12 times out of 10 last season. With no law changes, I wonder what the PGMOL directive is this season.

A&H International
I agree that that should have been called. The only thing that made me question it was the video that I saw on my local RA chat. Kovacic actually moves his arm before the ball is touched (just! - yes I know it's not completely relevant) and then doesn't have time to move his arm. The problem is just the fact that the original position made way more sense. I think he knew exactly what he was doing but just pulled it off very well.

I think he knew exactly what he was doing but just pulled it off very well.
That's the whole point of deliberate/non-deliberate handball now. If we think you know what you are doing, it's a deliberate handball. If you pull it off and fool everyone into think you didn't know what you were doing, it becomes a non-deliberate handball with the arm in that position.

That's the whole point of deliberate/non-deliberate handball now. If we think you know what you are doing, it's a deliberate handball. If you pull it off and fool everyone into think you didn't know what you were doing, it becomes a non-deliberate handball with the arm in that position.
That's the problem. AT and the VAR officials clearly didn't think he knew what he was doing, when I personally think it is obvious that he did. The new PL directives on wanting a very high bar for VAR intervention are probably the reason that wasn't overturned, although I think surely that has to meet the bar?

Reactions: one
That's the problem. AT and the VAR officials clearly didn't think he knew what he was doing, when I personally think it is obvious that he did. The new PL directives on wanting a very high bar for VAR intervention are probably the reason that wasn't overturned, although I think surely that has to meet the bar?

I think it's more close proximity that saves him here because his arm is away from his body.

The issue for me, if there is such a high bar for handball, it cant be so high it gives a defender a significant advantage. Whilst I think in this case, it was too close, in another situation a defender having his arm slightly away from the body will make him bigger and potentially stop a goal bound shot or pass to a teammate.

I think it's more close proximity that saves him here because his arm is away from his body.

The issue for me, if there is such a high bar for handball, it cant be so high it gives a defender a significant advantage. Whilst I think in this case, it was too close, in another situation a defender having his arm slightly away from the body will make him bigger and potentially stop a goal bound shot or pass to a teammate.
With non-deliberate handball (unnatural position), close proximity, speed, rebound... don't/shouldn't have a say in it. If they did it just gives the defenders an unfair tool to block the ball or close angles. For me, the OP is the very reason we have some non-deliberate handballs as offences.

With non-deliberate handball (unnatural position), close proximity, speed, rebound... don't/shouldn't have a say in it. If they did it just gives the defenders an unfair tool to block the ball or close angles. For me, the OP is the very reason we have some non-deliberate handballs as offences.
Where does
close proximity, speed, rebound

even get a mention these days?

I can't recall.... where is the guidance on such matters?

TBH.... I'm really not sure what a HB offence is. 8th season as a Referee and I don't think I've ever been so unclear about HB

Where does

even get a mention these days?

I can't recall.... where is the guidance on such matters?

TBH.... I'm really not sure what a HB offence is. 8th season as a Referee and I don't think I've ever been so unclear about HB
I am more than content that the shown picture was not given as a handball albeit I have seen the real time footage etc.

PGMOL have seemingly told the clubs that they don't need to play with their hand's behind their backs, and there will be a lot less handling offences penalised.

This one looks a lot worse from the still than real time. Kovacic was moving at speed, the ball was played at him from no distance, and his arm was coming down not going up. Don't think we will see those penalised this season, although players will need to be careful as they still will be given in UEFA games.

PGMOL have seemingly told the clubs that they don't need to play with their hand's behind their backs, and there will be a lot less handling offences penalised.

This one looks a lot worse from the still than real time. Kovacic was moving at speed, the ball was played at him from no distance, and his arm was coming down not going up. Don't think we will see those penalised this season, although players will need to be careful as they still will be given in UEFA games.
That’s a fair & accurate reflection.

Back