A&H

Safeguarding/DBS

NewRefBrendan

Hi everyone, i’m booked on to a referee course in July, and was wondering about the process involved for DBS checks....

-Is it something I have to organise myself?
-does it need to be completed prior to starting the ref course?
-can I do the ref course without a DBS check?

Hopefully some of you lovely people can help shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance,
Brendan

The Referee Store
I have just attended the London FA ref course and they sent a welcome email with the link and code you need. They then took ID off me on the course and was all completed in a couple of weeks.

I would assume other FAs are the same but cannot say for sure.

Good luck on your course, really enjoyed mine.

I have just attended the London FA ref course and they sent a welcome email with the link and code you need. They then took ID off me on the course and was all completed in a couple of weeks.

I would assume other FAs are the same but cannot say for sure.

Good luck on your course, really enjoyed mine.

I think I recall they took id off me and I didn't have to do anything else, maybe fill an online form, but the whole process was easy enough.

They take ID as those above have suggested.

I also had to attend a safeguarding course which I assume you will have to as well. Unfortunately I had to drive 50 miles to get there as there weren't any available in my county for a long time.

Did Barry Bennal have a current DBS card on his arrest?

Hardly relevant as his offences were between 1979 and 1991, so pre-dating DBS / CRC by some distance.

Had he tried to go back into youth football in the past five years, and not declared his history, then he would have been found out as he would have failed the check. It isn't a complete guarantee of course, but it is better than nothing and would certainly flag someone who has relevant previous criminal convictions.

Hardly relevant as his offences were between 1979 and 1991, so pre-dating DBS / CRC by some distance.

Had he tried to go back into youth football in the past five years, and not declared his history, then he would have been found out as he would have failed the check. It isn't a complete guarantee of course, but it is better than nothing and would certainly flag someone who has relevant previous criminal convictions.
Point being, anyone not convicted is given a free ride with a bus pass until he is. I know no system is perfect but there has been a spate of these recent, How many more get through unreported by scared victims, probably more than we dare imagine. The stories are harrowing.

Point being, anyone not convicted is given a free ride with a bus pass until he is. I know no system is perfect but there has been a spate of these recent, How many more get through unreported by scared victims, probably more than we dare imagine. The stories are harrowing.
Anyone not convicted....ie. anyone who's innocent in the eyes of the law? I appreciate that as much as possible we obviously all want these incidents to be avoided, but I don't really see why we should expect football to be able to investigate more thoroughly than the police?

Anyone not convicted....ie. anyone who's innocent in the eyes of the law? I appreciate that as much as possible we obviously all want these incidents to be avoided, but I don't really see why we should expect football to be able to investigate more thoroughly than the police?
In a previous career, working with some senior child social workers, they stated that the crc system as was, and the new DNS system are quite flawed. Yes, those convicted, yes those under suspicion will be picked up........many more operate freely under the radar...often known to authorities but unable to do anything about it.....not a good system but currently the only one we have

Just what we’re the FA doing in the 70s to until really recently to allow these vile predators to perpetrate their villainy within their organisation without any FA checks in place. Were they asleep at the wheel or something? What an excuse for a organisation. They should all resign in embarrassment,

Just what we’re the FA doing in the 70s to until really recently to allow these vile predators to perpetrate their villainy within their organisation without any FA checks in place. Were they asleep at the wheel or something? What an excuse for a organisation. They should all resign in embarrassment,
Whilst I agree there are bigger issues around the FA, clubs themselves must carry most of the blame, they recruited/employed these people and in all probability knew something was amiss.....

I have just completed the course in Lancs and I was allowed to do it before my DBS had been completed but to bring 2x ID's and photocopies to the course. I was however told I wasn't allowed to ref until the DBS had been completed and I had done a safeguarding course.

The DBS application was sent via a link with the pre course information along with dates for the safeguarding courses. Hopefully you will receive the same soon if not maybe contact your refs development officer.

Took a few weeks for the DBS to come back which is normal but as I said above, as far as I'm aware, you can do the course before you have your DBS certificate 👍

Hope this helps

Just reading some of the above for the first time.

While I agreed a criminal investigation is more thorough, the same investigation result could 'convict' someone under FA criteria but not under the laws of the land criteria (at least here in aus). Allegations for a criminal investigation must be proven beyond reasonable doubt for a convinction under the laws of the land. But a convictions under the FA judicial system need lesser criteria of balance of probabilities. Otherwise there would hardly ever be a suspension because most send offs will end up being the referee's word against a player's and a few of his witness mates.

Back