A&H

Roll on roll off subs

RefSheff

Level 6 Referee
Right, I've got a County Cup game with roll-on-roll-off subs.

I get that the teams have to name 5 subs, and I get that a player who comes off then becomes a substitute who can come on.

One question: am I right in thinking that there is no limit to the number of times a substitution can be made during the game?

The Referee Store
Correct. Teams can make unlimited amount of substitutions and the same player can come on and off as many times as they like

Bear in mind that the following still apply:
- the referee must be informed before any proposed substitution is made
- the substitute only enters the field of play after the player being replaced
has left and after receiving a signal from the referee
- the substitute only enters the field of play at the halfway line and during a
stoppage in the match

How fastidious you are going to be about all of these when dealing with excited juniors is up to you but I would advise that you clamp down early on attempts to swap players whilst the ball is in play. If you do very young age groups this will happen - remember that sometimes the managers are as inexperienced as the players and so may not even realise that they are doing anything wrong.

I tend to be more demanding as I go up age groups although I haven't gone quite as far as a referee that I came across who booked three U16 players in one team for not informing him that they had come on as subs at half time.

At park level this usually means the CAR is constantly changing so how many times can you stop the game to brief them unless you talked to the whole team pre KO about your expectations of an assistant.

At park level this usually means the CAR is constantly changing so how many times can you stop the game to brief them unless you talked to the whole team pre KO about your expectations of an assistant.

Assessment has taught me to keep the 'briefs' very brief

rolling subs are a stupid idea and a pain for referees
The only problem is when teams abuse it and want to make 20 subs a half, or when the procedure isn't followed. That's all, no hassle otherwise.

It can add a lot of time if you're playing stoppages, so you probably don't want to get too excited about stopping the clock. If not, you may want to get the game going as soon as the substitution is complete (as opposed to waiting until the player is in position).

Another thing to keep an eye on is the team that are winning suddenly wanting to make a change every 2 minutes during the last 10 minutes. Remember substitutions take place in YOUR time not theirs.

Had a game last night - kids - both teams made 4 changes at half time without me knowing ... probably my bad for not asking (but it was cold and we all wanted to get a move on) - but - would have been nice to know before I found out 10 mins later!

Had a game last night - kids - both teams made 4 changes at half time without me knowing ... probably my bad for not asking (but it was cold and we all wanted to get a move on) - but - would have been nice to know before I found out 10 mins later!

Just think Essex CFA have lost £80.00 due to your failing to notice earlier!!!:D

... that and the last minute DOGSO I didn't send off for / put through - I've cost them a fortune :)

But you kept your match control tho ;)

In all honesty I actually like rolling subs. The youth league I do has them from U13-U19 and its great. Not had any problems with players coming on to early or numerous late subs to waste time. One thing I do like about them is that if a player gets book for say Dissent.....a coach more often than not will take him off for say 10-15 minutes. It lets him cool down and realise what he has done. Thus allowing him to come back on and not do the same thing again(well.....normally thats the plan).

I still only ref junior football where RO/RO subs apply, every caution I've given the player has been taken off within the next minute but normally come back on later in the game. It just seems the general idea that all managers have to help the kids cool off.

All county games in Herefordshire are now roll-on/roll-off. In practice most teams still act as though it isn't, putting on subs at tactical points or for injuries. Those that don't do swap things around a little more often, but very rarely use it as an opportunity to try and slow down the game - more to cover people who've picked up a knock (or are struggling for breath after 30 mins...!?).

I quite like it - the only issue I've ever had is that of managing the substitutions sometimes - but that can happen anyway.

Back