A&H

Roll on roll off subs

AB_19

Level 7 Referee
Are you supposed to note down subs for roll on/roll off competition finals? I thought no coz you don’t for normal roll on roll off games but someone told me you do for a final and now I’m confused.

A&H International
The point that it is likely to become important is it there are KFTPM. At this point then only those on the pitch at the end of play are eligible to take kicks.

I would say that if you have numbers recorded, or the subs separated then you can manage this. What you would want to avoid is subs coming onto the pitch and getting mixed up with those on the field of play.

We have rolling subs at all grassroots. In playoffs and finals always remind the coaches before the match: if, big if, we have KFTPM, I need your help to keep the final 11 players on the pitch and the subs off. Remember to make subs before the match ends. And yes, I will tell you how long is left;)

(Obviously never say KFTPM or your head will roll!)

Youth matches I referee allow rolling subs up 19s. Generally it is required to record whether any of the named subs (up to 5) take the field. After that there is no particular need to record reintroductions etc. As has been said above the exception is if there is potential or KFTPM.

You are arguably supposed to keep a full record of all subs in any game, but as you've obviously concluded, that's ridiculous in a roll-on-roll-off league game.

My RO/RO league cares about which players have played for the sake of cup and league medal eligibility, so all I realistically need to do is tick when they come on for the first time and make sure subs are wearing appropriate bibs/tracksuits so it's obvious who's who if anything kicks off. The difference between and player and a sub receiving a red card is significant, but a lattice diagram of who's on the field when isn't necessary to get that right.

As others have pointed out, any match where it might go to penalties (KFTPM) is the exception to this, at which point you need to make sure you're ready to monitor who was on the pitch at the end of the game. As long as you have a way of doing this, you're fine - be that using a record or actively managing the benches at fully time.

You absolutely need to know which subs were used, as an unused sub isn't deemed to have been a participant in the game. That can affect things like eligibility, being cup tied, etc, so you need to know.

Back