A&H

Right or not (probably not!)

svenny76

RefChat Addict
Ok, so my fixture yesterday. Pretty bog standard game but the home side needed the points to pull away from the bottom pack.

So 0-0 10 mins to go, away striker goes in the box defender kicks the striker, clear penalty, but no one is even interested, whistle goes up to my lips, player stays on his feet, 1 on 1 with the keeper, blow for pen and risk the wrath if they score or play on?

What would you do?

I played on, and yep you guessed it, keeper saves it!
A couple of grumbles but not half as many as I was expecting, and even the home side were saying, bloody hell ref that was a blatant pen.
Would you on every occasion like that give the pen regardless?

Home side then score an 85th minute winner to win 1-0

The Referee Store
should have called advantage and then brought it back for the penalty

at least that's what phil dowd apparently did today at the sunderland v cardiff game according to the commentary on rado five live

I thought about it, but I'm sure I was told on my course it was like giving them two bites of the cherry.
I think in future sod the advantage (unless it's an open goal) and just give the pen!

let's face it Svenny, someone will think that you're wrong, whatever you decide to do :)

I thought about it, but I'm sure I was told on my course it was like giving them two bites of the cherry.
I think in future sod the advantage (unless it's an open goal) and just give the pen!

They even miss then! I had one a couple of years back when I played advantage because the ball had run to an unmarked attacker right in front of goal, he put it over! :D Oh, and the best part was that he wanted me to bring it back, not a chance!

Nothing to stop you indicating with a point of the arm that you have seen a foul/penalty and rather than use the advantage arm position/shout just wait a couple seconds before deciding whether to blow or not. I am sure Michael Oliver did a brilliant example of this a couple of weeks back. Delayed the whistle, did not use the advantage signal, shot came to nothing, gave the penalty.

It cannot be DOGSO though I don't believe?

Yeah, this should have been advantage and then brought back for a pen if they don't put it away.

Take your time, I give myself a mental count to three before blowing or signalling advantage. Once I have signalled and called 'Advantage', I'd rather not pull it all back again!

So, in my head 'one - two - thr....oh he's saved it!' Blow, "No advantage, penalty!" Then deal with whatever card is necessary according to the severity of the foul. If the trip/kick was enough to affect the striker's shot, then possibly a red for DOGSO, but more than likely, a yellow at worst.

See, I'm not so hesitant about bringing it back after signalling advantage. Fact is: when you've committed a foul, I don't give a **** whether you think it's fair that they get a second crack at it -- you should have been careful!

Reactions: SM
Take your time, I give myself a mental count to three before blowing or signalling advantage. Once I have signalled and called 'Advantage', I'd rather not pull it all back again!

So, in my head 'one - two - thr....oh he's saved it!' Blow, "No advantage, penalty!" Then deal with whatever card is necessary according to the severity of the foul. If the trip/kick was enough to affect the striker's shot, then possibly a red for DOGSO, but more than likely, a yellow at worst.
I just got picked up on this in an assessment. I played advantage but did not call "advantage" before calling the play back to give a foul. I always thought to wait a second or two before blowing or "advantage" but the assessor, he say no. I suppose it stops the old "come on ref, foul ref, your joking ref...(blow) oh, cheers ref, well done."

I just got picked up on this in an assessment. I played advantage but did not call "advantage" before calling the play back to give a foul. I always thought to wait a second or two before blowing or "advantage" but the assessor, he say no. I suppose it stops the old "come on ref, foul ref, your joking ref...(blow) oh, cheers ref, well done."
We are told to 'wait and see'. As a player I used to hate it when the ref shouted advantage, then blew up a couple of seconds later. As a ref, I think the players deserve to know your intentions, so I may have my arms 'obvioously' ready to signal, but will always take a breath first to see what transpires.

The amount of times I've blown and the player's been p3333d off at me for not playing advantage, one even "Come on ref! Advantage please - I was through then" "Nah son, you still had three players to beat and had only just left the center circle" "Yeah, I would have still scored though!"

I guess we can't win either way, but I would still wait for a clear advantage to happen before I call it.

Back