A&H

Ridiculous comments ...

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
Well it would have been on TV had it not been called off ..! The Cowdenbeath vs Rangers kick off due to be played on Friday night was called off three hours before kick off as the pitch was frozen, and the home club aren't happy about it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46926104

Cowdenbeath manager Gary Bollan added: "The decision was taken there and then. Come kick-off time, I think it would have been playable.

It was scheduled for a 19:45 kick off so it was called off around 16:45. How on earth would a pitch that was frozen after the sun had set miraculously defrost itself for a kick off that evening … ? :wall: The club director then added …

"We played in the Betfred Cup a couple of games here after a long, dry summer and I would absolutely say the pitch was harder then that it is now."

Hardly the same, you can put any amount of water on a dry pitch to make it safe, plus a dry pitch isn't slippery like a frozen one is. Short of bringing in industrial heating lights you can't defrost a pitch that was frozen at sunset. I get they were disappointed at their big day being called off, but sometimes people need to think before making comments.

The Referee Store
Well it would have been on TV had it not been called off ..! The Cowdenbeath vs Rangers kick off due to be played on Friday night was called off three hours before kick off as the pitch was frozen, and the home club aren't happy about it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46926104

It was scheduled for a 19:45 kick off so it was called off around 16:45. How on earth would a pitch that was frozen after the sun had set miraculously defrost itself for a kick off that evening … ? :wall: The club director then added …

Hardly the same, you can put any amount of water on a dry pitch to make it safe, plus a dry pitch isn't slippery like a frozen one is. Short of bringing in industrial heating lights you can't defrost a pitch that was frozen at sunset. I get they were disappointed at their big day being called off, but sometimes people need to think before making comments.
Postponing games always has the potential to be the most contentious of all decisions
Sounds like they did a lot of work to get the game on, but the argument regarding summer hard ground is moronic, because frozen ground is an absolute no no. I understand it's normal practise to use a local referee to make a decision in advance. This saves thousands of fans from making an unnecessary trip. The local referee would have been vastly experienced and more than capable of making this decision

I think the frustration from the staff was that it wasn't the full pitch that was frozen it was a small part at the corner flag that was still to defrost, I don't think the coaches and fans react to safety the way we do as referees, the away fans had a long journey hence the frustration from them, however risking multi million pound players for the sake of a 4th round cup tie on a frozen pitch would have been really silly.

Apparently both set of coaches were happy with the playing surface though, don't think the attitude would have been the same if Jermaine Defoe had broke his leg on a frozen pitch on his first appearance.

Back