The Ref Stop

Open Age Reflection on my first ever OA Game

kje2198

Hi guys,

I have just finished officiating my first ever OA game. Pre season friendly between 2 middle league Sunday teams.

Breaking it down the game and a few key incidents. Overall, I think it was a very hit and miss game. I think I did a few things well and had quite a few poor decisions.

First 5 minutes I’ve given a home team penalty that was quite soft and upset the away team asking how as it was soft and beginning the questioning of the decisions for the remainder of the game. I’d say I got a hold back on the game with being pretty consistent after that point. Although the odd how is that not a foul but the penalty is begin to creep in and the tolerance level of the players being quite high for contact in the game but also asking why things such as a 50/50 shoulder to should isn’t a foul and a caution. (Ironic I know, want a high level of contact but expect soft fouls and 50/50s to go their own respective teams way aswell 😂)

Towards end of first half I’ve been called to send the keeper of for handling the ball out side of the box (the pitch lines were almost non existent and I was too far away but in quite a good position to see the keeper pick the ball up, although maybe being a few yards closer may have helped to have come to better a decision and better be able to see the faded lines rather than a no caution almost non decision).

Second half followed suit really, not too bad control of the game giving fouls etc, even though at this point the Sunday league lads thought everything was too soft because they “touched the ball first” before going through and clattering the players, but again calling for every piece of contact to be a foul in their way.

End of the game almost descended into chaos, I’ve given a foul in the middle of the defensive 3rd, opposition player was slow to move out the way and has had the ball booted off him. Team in possession has put a foot on the ball and played on, hoof the ball long lose the 50/50 (I’ve hesitated as to whether or not the force was excessive and warrants a FK, unfortunately for me the team that won the ball go on to score which brings out the “f’in hell ref and the rest (im going to report you to the league, despite it being a friendly and not an official competition etc) , aren’t you going to book him for blocking the FK… from a player I’d previously given a verbal warning to” this results in a sin bin for the player and misses the final minutes of the game.

Feeling a little deflated that the game had ended like that and has made me question the quality of my performance today. Looking back on things in hindsight I wish I had been a tad bit more firm with my decisions even if they were not quite accurate as a few occasions I hesitated and changed my decision based on a few players reactions (I know a BIG NO NO, but that’s the benefit of learning and taking each game as a chance to develop.)

Any advice anyone can offer would be amazing as I am always looking to improve my performances and become the best referee I possibly can be.

The Ref Stop
The real positive in all this is that you’ve reflected on some of the things you’ve experienced, how you’ve handled yourself and decisions or actions you’ve taken.

If you learn from them then you’ll keep improving, it takes a long long time before you complete a game without learning something new or improving something in your own game.

I had a similar experience in my 3rd ever game and whilst at the final whistle I never wanted to referee again, I took my time and reflected on it all and worked on all the negatives and kept going with all the positives and I’m a better referee for those learning opportunities.

Even after 200 OA games, you’ll still have days like these where you feel everything goes wrong but the likelihood is they’ll be few and far between!

Well done on making the step up, well done on reflecting on the good and the bad, put what you’ve thought about into practice in your next game and you’ll see the benefit of it going forward.

Ste

It will get better with time. Don’t beat yourself up, especially as it’s your first OA game. You’ve done really well to reflect on your performance and pick up some development points. And more importantly, you’ve learned, there is no such thing as a friendly.

I've been experimenting with a few simple tactics to improve my game management.

Constant movement is key. Players are less likely to complain if you're always on the go. Avoid lingering near potential trouble spots. Anticipate where tensions might rise, and give those areas a wide berth. Use common sense, though. Communicate when necessary, but don't get drawn into pointless arguments. It's a fine line, but I'm gradually finding my balance.

When awarding a penalty, point to the spot with absolute conviction. A clear, concise explanation is enough. Players know the rules; they're just looking to argue. After making your decision, immediately back away from the penalty area, I use the 18 yard for a 'do not cross' line. If they follow, firmly tell them to back off.

Remember, you can't please everyone. When making a 50/50 decision, lean slightly in favour of one side, then fully commit to it. Take your time to consider the situation, but once you've made a decision, be confident.

Last edited:
Not yet refereed a game, but my advice would be to reflect on your own self evaluation rather than those of you from the players. It is not in their interest to have a confident ref who knows that they got it right - even when they didn't. Good luck next game.

That's a good self reflection. Don't let players keep challenging your earlier decisions, it is a common example of dissent. Unless there's some really blatant dissent that requires an immediate sanction, one warning per team is enough then get the card out.

Well reflected.
I think we have all been in games like this where we have let the players etc get into our heads.

Good one I always remember, is if the players are saying it's a soft penalty, they are still agreeing that it's a penalty - they'd just rather it go for them, than against them!

Always show confidence in your decision - even if you actually think your jumped the gun or think you got it wrong, stay true to the original decision, be confident and carry on. The confidence sells it, they'll soon be quiet once it's in play again.

Think someone above mentioned the constant decision questioning, whilst not the most obvious form of dissent, it still is. Set a boundary of what limit you will take, provide the warning/s - wherever you set the limit, and then issue the sin bin accordingly (I usually set mine to 3 per team on this kind of thing)

Otherwise, you've done your job. Remember, they aren't having a game if you're not there. Continue reflecting, I reflect after each game, I have a little notepad so I can learn. You'll improve with the more games you do. Keep going

Back