A&H

Refereeing u16

Rob123

I’ve just started refereeing open age and enjoying and got a u16 friendly tomorrow. Never referred u16s so wondering what it would be like? Any thoughts appreciated.

A&H International
16-18 is a funny age, you have a group of people all at differing stages along their puberty journey and it really is a mixed bag.

What is the level? Are they top division teams or bottom of the barrel?

My experience of youth football is that it can vary so much, one day's U16s may as well be U19s, then the next day's U18s play like confused 13 year olds.

16-18 is a funny age, you have a group of people all at differing stages along their puberty journey and it really is a mixed bag.

What is the level? Are they top division teams or bottom of the barrel?

My experience of youth football is that it can vary so much, one day's U16s may as well be U19s, then the next day's U18s play like confused 13 year olds.
Do you enjoy to referee that age range ?

I'm assuming that means you are going up from younger kids to 16s. A lot still will depend on the level of play. Some general thoughts:
  • The are largely going to play more physically and accept more contact--pay attention to how they react as you figure out where the foul bar is
  • There can be substantial size differences that can be a challenge with that growing contact
  • They will (generally) understand advantage
  • Some of them are going through a part of life when they want to challenge authority; you need to talk to them something closer to a peer than with the younger kids while still being the one in charge. But many of them understand the game well enough that you can talk to them intelligently
  • Some will wear a caution as a badge of honor; you need to use plastic when required, but also need to be aware of how you read the room, so to speak
  • Many will have skills that they can often control, but will try things beyond their skill level
  • They aren't past doing stupid things--they may still have that moment when they suddenly think they came up with a brand new idea by trying to kick away the ball as a GK punts it
  • Get to hot spots quickly--they are often more likely to posture than to actually want to fight--if you get there quickly and loud with the whistle, they are often looking for an excuse to not fight without losing face by backing down
If you haven't, go watch a game at this level before you ref it to get a feel.

Good luck!

Do you enjoy to referee that age range ?
From a player dissent point of view, it is most definitely easier. With the caveat that the dissent comes from the sidelines instead (but at least they can be ordered away much easier). It also depends on your own age. I'm 26 so refereeing adults the same age and older than me is naturally a lot more of a challenge than refereeing teenagers.

I'm assuming that means you are going up from younger kids to 16s. A lot still will depend on the level of play. Some general thoughts:
  • The are largely going to play more physically and accept more contact--pay attention to how they react as you figure out where the foul bar is
  • There can be substantial size differences that can be a challenge with that growing contact
  • They will (generally) understand advantage
  • Some of them are going through a part of life when they want to challenge authority; you need to talk to them something closer to a peer than with the younger kids while still being the one in charge. But many of them understand the game well enough that you can talk to them intelligently
  • Some will wear a caution as a badge of honor; you need to use plastic when required, but also need to be aware of how you read the room, so to speak
  • Many will have skills that they can often control, but will try things beyond their skill level
  • They aren't past doing stupid things--they may still have that moment when they suddenly think they came up with a brand new idea by trying to kick away the ball as a GK punts it
  • Get to hot spots quickly--they are often more likely to posture than to actually want to fight--if you get there quickly and loud with the whistle, they are often looking for an excuse to not fight without losing face by backing down
If you haven't, go watch a game at this level before you ref it to get a feel.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I’ve actually been refereeing open age recently but never done u16s

Thanks for the reply. I’ve actually been refereeing open age recently but never done u16s
That’s probably an easier transition. I think a key going that direction is to remember that aren’t quite adults. And they don’t have their full coordination or self-control yet.

Back