A&H

Refereeing Pet Hates

matty639

Level 5 Referee
Bear with me here, I am just wondering what people's opinions are on other refs. No names please, just things that bug you. For me at local county level is seeing guys with shirts untucked and socks round the ankles, looks scruffy and makes me think he does care about being there.

At higher level, I.e. You turn up in a suit, I hate seeing unshaven refs, not entirely sure why but just grips me that they haven't bothered to shave.

I have a few other ones but I'd seem like a miserable bugger if I said them all and I'm perfectly aware I'm far from perfect lol.

The Referee Store
Lol are you talking about me here mate? :D I tend not to tuck in my shirt unless it is a higher level of game. It's a height thing. Agree with the socks comment, rolled down is a no no.

I have two pet hates. The first is referees who do not submit disciplinary matters to the cfa, grrrrr. I know a couple who are quite open about it. Second is referees who do not know all of the laws of the game - but last weeks ref said you couldn't score direct from a kick off? Last weeks ref said you can be offside direct from a goal kick? Last weeks ref didn't care if ball left the penalty area before being played again on a defensive free kick - it's not a goal kick ref? Last weeks ref said you can't shout anything but your name regardless during play or else it's a free kick? Drives me mad. Especially when you know exactly which referee it was last week....

1: Refs who caution but don't put their reports through, makes it far more difficult for those that do put their report through...
2: Brightly coloured boots, think it looks awful...

Untucked shirts, sloppy, slovenly and shows a lack of respect, both for themselves and the game.

'In the back ref', 'handball...', and 'foul throw'......rarely are any of those shouts ever correct.......

Gobby players.....shut up and get on with the game.
Gobby managers.....ditto.

Whiny cry baby players.....appealing for every little nudge....man up or go and play netball....
Whiny cry baby managers.....go run a girl guide pack....

Can't think why my card count is always so high.....lol

- but last weeks ref said you couldn't score direct from a kick off? Last weeks ref said you can be offside direct from a goal kick? Last weeks ref didn't care if ball left the penalty area before being played again on a defensive free kick - it's not a goal kick ref? Last weeks ref said you can't shout anything but your name regardless during play or else it's a free kick? Drives me mad. Especially when you know exactly which referee it was last week....

What you really hate is last weeks ref.:)

The unshaven bit could well be me. I just don't like shaving and periodically wear a beard but they are fashionable now so that buggers that up for me.

The thing I dislike about fellow refs, socks and shirts and boots have been covered so I'll go with the guys who shout at players.

Back