A&H

Refereeing people you know

HullRef

RefChat Addict
I have a cup semi final on Sunday. An U13's team which has 2/3 players that I know from school, last time I refereed them i didn't know what to call them, "player, yellow, (number)" or their name, it makes it easier and quicker calling them by their name because they turn around straight away. It doesn't effect my unbiased view but wondered what it would look like to the other team .

What do you guys think/do?

The Referee Store
One tip I picked up from another ref, was learning the players names quickly. So, when their team mates shout at them and use their name, I pick up their name and use it then for the rest of the game. It works really well, and players are quite surprised when you call them by their name. So maybe you could try that, and do it for both teams including the players you know.

Just something I use that helps with man management and match control.

I've refereed people I know 3 times this season about to become 4th but also dissent can be difficult as well so be aware of that as well I also say behave at the beginning when I see them

I'd stick to 'yellow 10' or 'blue 11' or whatever the case when publicly or loudly speaking/calling to players if I were you

Consider how the opposing team will feel if you're calling their opponents Bill and Ted and calling them them by their colours and shirt numbers? It would sound and appear to be a one-sided friendship? I appreciate you'll be unbiased, but you need to appear to be so to everyone involved. One of our greatest skills is to develop the trust players have in us,

Would you allow those players you know to call you by your name? You're in the realms of 'undermining your authority' to an old-school type like me, I'd be uncomfortable allowing it myself, for me the disadvantages still far outweigh the advantages

i like to communicate with players as much as possible so i would use their names. i always make sure i know the captains' names at the very least, and if i can pick up names through the game then i will.

i won't use nicknames though. a couple of weeks ago a captain introduced himself to me as "Lamby" and i advised him that i'd prefer to call him Daniel!

Thats why you use names from both side top man. I think it just helps with man management.

Just learn the names of a few on the other team and nobody will say boo. Try not to think about this kind of thing too much as it can be pretty distracting. Do whatever is natural.

Back